Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS-S - PUTM - VRRP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AOS-S - PUTM - VRRP

Posted Mar 24, 2020 02:43 PM

AOS-S: 16.10.0003

AOS: 8.6.0.2

2 node MD cluster.

VRRP is functioning. There is a VRRP-IP for each member of the cluster.

I have PUTM setup fine when using the IPs of the controllers themselves. However, in the study guide for the ACSP. It recommends setting the controller-ip in the tunneled-node-server profile as the VRRP-IP of the master MD of the cluster (Or, that's how I understand the text below). From there, the switch will acquire the cluster member's IPs and establish UAC/SAC settings from there.

"With this method, again, you only need to set a single tunnel node server (controller) IP address on the AOS-Switch. Use the virtual IP address for the cluster, as shown in Figure 13-11. When the switch contacts this IP address, it receives assignments with the actual IP addresses of two MCs. One is the switch's active Switch Anchor Controller (A-SAC_ and the other is the switch's standby SAC (S-SAC) The switch establishes tunnels with both controllers."

However, I cannot make the switch register the server if configured this way.

Local Master Server (LMS) State

LMS Type     IP Address       State        Capability Role
     Primary   :  192.168.199.12   Complete     Per User   Operational Primary

Switch Anchor Controller (SAC) State

IP Address       Mac Address             State
     SAC         : 192.168.199.12   000000-000000           Registering

x.x.x.12 being the VRRP-IP of the Master MD in the cluster as found under Services -> Clusters. 

Output of show vrrp:

Virtual Router 220:
        Description 
        Admin State UP, VR State BACKUP
        IP Address 192.168.199.12, MAC Address 00:00:5e:00:xx:xx, vlan 199
        Priority 235, Advertisement 1 sec, Preemption Enable Delay 0
        Auth type NONE ********
        tracking is not enabled

Virtual Router 221:
        Description 
        Admin State UP, VR State MASTER
        IP Address 192.168.199.13, MAC Address 00:00:5e:00:xx:xx, vlan 199
        Priority 255, Advertisement 1 sec, Preemption Enable Delay 0
        Auth type NONE ********
        tracking is not enabled

• 2.  RE: AOS-S - PUTM - VRRP

Posted Mar 26, 2020 04:28 AM

Looking at the VRID's (220+) these are cluster VRRP's? the one you define under clustering?

if so; These are only being used for CoA (ASI) and not for other purposes, like AP or switch termination. I'm not sure if it is possible to get it working this way, but the dangerous thing is that these VIP's will go down when the cluster is not L2 connected anymore.

You must point to you real ip's or create a valid VRRP that can be used for AP termination as well.

• 3.  RE: AOS-S - PUTM - VRRP

Posted Mar 30, 2020 02:36 PM

Yes. That is what I was referring to. However, I also tried the VRT that I created for both the controllers for AP termination, and if I remember correctly, I got the same result. 

I will try again to verify, though.