Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

Posted Jul 05, 2019 11:39 AM

Hello,

I am wondering how to create a local user with Level-15/manager access?  I'm looking for the Cisco equivilent of "username cisco privilege 15 secret cisco"

I have tried:

aaa authentication local-user admin group Level-15

aaa authentication local-user admin group manager

aaa authentication local-user admin group Administrators

Nothing works as the groups do not exist, even though the documentation hints at these being the default names.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 05, 2019 03:30 PM
    I suspect the best equivalence of Cisco IOS usernam <name> privilege 15 password <password> command would be simply the ArubaOS-Switch password operator user-name <name> plaintext <password> command.

• 3.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 08, 2019 02:43 PM

Greetings!

The first example you used should be correct — the default group for manager-level permissions is "Level-15". 

What switch model are you using, and what software version is it running? Did you get a specific error message when you tried the command?

• 4.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

Posted Feb 08, 2021 12:26 PM
    Apologies for posting to an old topic but I am having the same issue.

On a 
    HP J8698A Switch 5412zl
    Software revision K.16.02.0026
    I ran "aaa authentication local-user <username> group Level-15 password plaintext" from the (config) prompt and got back "Authorization group Level-15 does not exist."

but on 
    HP J9851A Switch 5412Rzl2
    Software revision KB.16.10.0007
    The command runs properly and creates my user and prompts for the password.

------------------------------
    Shane McCook

• 5.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 07:04 AM
    As far as I can see that feature was introduced on 16.02 only on the active platforms at that time (5400R/v2+v3, 2930F, 2920, 2620, 2530). So it is expected that the command is not available on your 5412 non R 'K' platform.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 6.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

Posted Feb 20, 2021 05:20 AM
    Hi Herman Robers

I am not able to create local user on the Aruba Switch Model 2530, the rest models which you have mentioned above the same commands are working fine to create a local user.

We are using version YA.16.10.0012  and the error is "Authorization group Level-15 does not exist"  can you please help how it works for model 2350.

Thanks

sandeep singh

• 7.  RE: AOS Switch - Create local user with Level-15 access

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 06:04 AM
    It should work the same as on the other switches that do work. If it doesn't, either my information is incorrect, or this is a software defect.

EDIT: I did not look right. The document I used, the Switch Software Feature Matrix, appears to be public, so you can have a look yourself.
    Check for the feature RBAC: Role Based Access Control, and see there confirmed that this feature is unavailable on the 2530. Sorry for the confusion, I think I checked local user role before, which is supported.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.