Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Limitations

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Airwave Limitations

Posted Aug 14, 2019 06:53 AM

Posted this in the wrong forum so apologies!

We've recently started to convert some of our Switches to Aruba and have an installation of Airwave.

In AirWave we've discovered the following limitations, i've been searching the help (and google) but it dosen't appear to have some functionality we need.

I have two questions about Airwave:

Is there a way to upgrade the secondary image? If not will this be a feature in the future?

The option to revert firmware dosen't appear to work, I apply the settings to revert but nothing occurs. The update feature can obviously blast the primary image back if we want but is this a known bug?

All the best

TBB

• 2.  RE: Airwave Limitations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 08:11 AM

We can push firmware file to primary partition only not secondary. File feature request and regarding revert firmware option not working are you talking downgrade firmware option under Groups>Firmware tab?

• 3.  RE: Airwave Limitations

Posted Aug 14, 2019 10:25 AM
      |   view attached

Am aware that we can only push software to the primary, I want to upgrade the secondary images as well. Is this something that is going to or can be implemented? At present my Director is looking at the whole "out of date secondary image" thing as being a potential security risk and possible attack vector. 

We also have implemented bug fixes from upgrades and some secondary images do not have these. These were in response to some TAC cases we requested. This means that in the event of any failover the fail could be much more than the loss of the primary image.

With the firmware upgrade it occurs when we select the device, click on Manage and have the following options (attached). None of the options we've tried for "Clear Firmware Upgrade" seem to actually do anything, no logs, no errors - even after several reboots over a couple of days it's still the same firmware on there, no matter what options we use to schedule (it's in our test racks).

All the best

TBB

• 4.  RE: Airwave Limitations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 11:12 AM

Only option to upgrade secondary partition is by manually changing partition on switch and push firmware using Airwave, I would recommand to file feature request at innovate.arubanetworks.com/

Regarding clear firmware upgrade option , it will remove any schedule firmware jobs

• 5.  RE: Airwave Limitations

Posted Aug 14, 2019 05:31 PM
    I am going to ignore the reversion issue.

I do want an answer to the secondary image issue though.

I will submit a feature request for this. The question right now (as I know my higher ups will ask me) is "how do I manually set the primary and secondary images so they can be upgraded via Airwave" as you suggest?

It needs an answer.

TBB

• 6.  RE: Airwave Limitations

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2019 04:36 AM

Check page 14 for commands to manually change boot partitions.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04793912