Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

Posted Jun 23, 2019 04:02 PM

I am fairly new to Aruba switches (but not networking) so just want someone to translate for me.

I am currently setting up VLAN's (split Data/Voice) and so far so good. I have setup both VLAN's and a management VLAN.

The one thing I am having difficulty understanding is the configuration of what in my experience would be called a Trunk/uplink of which would be used on a connection between switches (to take all VLAN traffic) or to the layer 3 (router/firewall).

From what I have found online I believe a trunk may mean something different with HP Aruba, I am also either finding conflicting information and/or the wrong configuration based either on model or firmware version.

Is there a way to easily configure this (like with the "voice" or "management" commands) or am I simply going to create a port and just make it a member of all VLAN's on my switch.

I am looking to understand the meaning and an example configuration if anyone could be helpful.

Thanks! 

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 23, 2019 06:35 PM
    Hi, generally an uplink interface that require some VLANs to be permitted is, in HP/HPE jargon, just an interface that need to be a tagged member of each of those VLANs.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

Posted Jun 24, 2019 04:09 AM

Thanks for responding, I thought this could be one option yes.

I was not aware whether there was a specific "trunk" setting you could simply apply to the port to make it so (like with the "voice" and "management" commands.

There are several guides that suggest so, on the Aruba as well I can configure for example "trunk 9,10 trk1 trunk" (which adds ports 9 and 10 to trunk group 1).

What does this do ?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

Posted Jun 24, 2019 05:53 AM

Hi,

With the trunk command you can bound multiple interfaces to act as one.

Cisco calls it etherchannels and juniper aggregated ethernets.

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 24, 2019 08:43 AM

Hi, as already pointed out...do not confuse HP Trunk = Aggregation with Cisco Trunk = Permitting more VLAN on a port...this nice PDF should clarify things a little (Terminology differences).

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

Posted Jun 24, 2019 11:36 AM

Thanks for all your responses, a very impressive start to the forums here.

That last guide especially - really helpful!

• 7.  RE: Aruba 2530 VLAN Trunk/uplink port

Posted Jun 24, 2019 08:14 AM

For cisco admins: you can use a cli reference guide, to find out how you can configure certain tasks:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04793912

Please be aware that on ArubaOS switchports, you do NOT need to convert from switchport mode access to switchport mode trunk, you simply just tag the vlans you need, or untag the vlan on the port you need allow as (untagged) access vlan, without converting the mode of a port.