Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

Posted Mar 08, 2018 11:03 AM

Hi Guys (and of course girls),

I'm a little bit stuck in an IRF-Configuration and i hope you all somehow can help me a little.

I've set up an IRF-Stack of 6x HPE 5700AF Switches with a 20GBit/s IRF-Link as a Ring. To prevent Split-Brain-Situation i wanted to set up LACP-MAD with an assist device. (customers wish for a seperate device...)

Here I wanted to use one Aruba 2930F Switch with 3x 1G RJ45 Ethernet for the local Stack-Members and 3x 1G SFP-Fiber for the remote devices (different building about 650ft/210m away).

I actually don't know how to set those devices correctly up.

Right now i created a Link-Aggregation on the IRF with 6 member ports an the MAD-VLAN 3999 as access ports. On the 2930F i created a lacp-trunk with 3 copper and 3 fiber ports and the same access-vlan.

Here is the moment where i got stuck.

On the a-Series Switch stack i activated lacp-mad.

But what to do on the Aruba switch?

Maybe someone can support me with a corerct mad-Config on the A-series switch and a correct assist-config for the 2930F device...

Would be nice.

Any idea appreciated!

Thanks

Franz

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 13, 2018 03:33 PM
    At the comware switch configure a dynamic link-aggregation interface. In the bridge interface enter the command “mad enable”.

At the 2930f switch create a trunk interface with lacp. Within the trunk interface enable mad passtrough. For example: “interface trk1 lacp mad-passthrough enable”

To validate the passtrough use the command “show lacp mad-passthrough counters”

To validate if mad is working enforce a split brain.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

Posted Mar 26, 2018 08:25 AM

Believe it or not. I had configured all correct. It did already work.
    I just missed the command "show lacp mad-passthrough" as only this showed me (and the customer) that it was already working.
    The Comware-Switches told us already that MAD was doing OK and all the members were seeing each other...
    THANK You for saving my day

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

Posted Mar 26, 2018 08:27 AM

BTW: Will this work with an HP/Aruba 2920 as well? At least in the Documentation it says something about mad-passthrough...?

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:02 AM

I think this will also work for the 2920 switches

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2930F assist LACP-MAD assist for 6x HPE 5700 40XG IRF

Posted Mar 26, 2018 09:03 AM

THX