Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Sep 27, 2018 06:17 PM
    Hi pals.
    I need to know if Aruba 8400 switch is capable to extend a VLAN to a remote Data Center without extending the broadcast and spanning-tree domains and in multi-homing scenarios.
    As far as I know, VxLAN should be the feature I would need to deploy, but I cannot find it in Aruba 8400 manuals. Is there an alternative feature to comply with this requirement?
    Regards

• 2.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 28, 2018 09:14 PM

I think (to be verified/confirmed by Aruba's Product Management) that VXLAN feature should already be on the ArubaOS-CX's roadmap.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Sep 29, 2018 08:38 AM

Hi Davide,
    The worst situation is that feature VxLAN will not be available in Aruba OS-CX (we need an Aruba's Product Manager input). In that case, do you know a similar feature that permits me to achieve the same goal of extending a VLAN to the DC?
    Regards

• 4.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 29, 2018 06:08 PM

Hi Pedro,

AFAIK I recall I've seen an ArubaOS-CX Update presentation made by an Aruba Consulting System Engineer where VxLAN was listed among future development priorities (probably that list was subject to any change) and a not well defined ArubaOS-CX "Release 2" was used to pinpoint upcoming features like VxLAN and VSX (Multi-Chassis Clustering)...provided that VSX was already released (with ArubaOS-CX 10.01.0001)...maybe the VxLAN feature could be just around the corner too (this is just my personal bet, I may be totally wrong with that and you will have to wait ArubaOS-CX 10.02 or whatever new version is going to come).

With regards to VxLAN and DC Layer 2 extension...I'm not an expert...but I recall HPE provides EVI (Ethernet Virtual Interconnect) - similar to Cisco OTV - along with VxLAN...both are quite common features that can be implemented using only high end Comware operating system based switch series (such as HPE 7900, 12500, 10500, 5940, etc.) so an alternative is to use capable models of those typical Data Center HPE Switch series (not considering also the HPE Routers)...probably there are some other technologies to achieve Layer 2 extension between DCs - all under the umbrella of what HP called Data Center Interconnect (DCI) - as explained here (not sure that that page is still updated).

Two quite interesting guides that deserve to be read are:

• 5.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Oct 01, 2018 04:15 PM
    Hi Davide,
    Thanks for the information about VxLAN for Comware but I am interested to define if Aruba 8400 has an equivalent feature to VxLAN for the Layer 2 extension in DCs.
    Anybody else wants to contribute with this post?
    Regards

• 6.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 02, 2018 01:54 AM

@N3tw0rk3r wrote:

Hi Davide,

Thanks for the information about VxLAN for Comware but I am interested to define if Aruba 8400 has an equivalent feature to VxLAN for the Layer 2 extension in DCs.

Anybody else wants to contribute with this post?

Regards

Pedro

Get the same feedback, it is on the roadmap...

• 7.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2018 11:55 AM

Hi All,

I'm going to ask the CX PLM team to share an update on planned 10.2 features and include information about VxLAN. 

-t

• 8.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Oct 03, 2018 02:22 PM

Aruba as a policy doesn’t share roadmaps publicly.  This is shared under NDA where applicable. Please reach out to your local CSE for a briefing on the software roadmap for the 8400 under NDA.

• 9.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Oct 03, 2018 03:28 PM
    Hi pals.
    You are right Vishwas Shetiya, this topic of Road maps are managed via NDAs, and we cannot access one without an NDA.
    Let me ask you something, if VxLAN is not present in any manual of Aruba OS-CX v10.01 for 8400, can you confirm that this firmware version does not support VxLAN?
    I would really appreciate your answer
    Have a nice day

• 10.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Oct 03, 2018 06:14 PM

Hello,

I am confirming that VxLAN is not present in 10.01 firmware code for the 8400 as can be observed by reading the manuals.

Thanks,

Vishwas Shetiya

• 11.  RE: Aruba 8400 VxLAN support

Posted Oct 04, 2018 12:03 PM

Thanks for your answer Vishwas Shetiya, I really appreciate it.
    Now that we know that VxLAN is not already supported in the last AOS-CX version (v10.01), how can I extend a VLAN from a site to a Data Center through a L3 network between them?. As far as I know, an alternative is to use L2 GRE Tunnels between sites in order to bridge traffic between them and share the same VLAN. I have searched in the last user guides for AOS-CX v10.01 and I only saw commands for L3 GRE Tunnels, nothing about L2 GRE Tunnels. Can anybody confirm if Aruba 8400 and Aruba 8320 (both models) support L2 GRE Tunnels between them?
    Regards
    Pedro