Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

This community is currently in a read-only state due to a maintenance window. For more info click here
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Aruba NetEdit 2.0: discovering a device hosted on different subnet

Hi all!

I'm having trouble trying to correctly configure Aruba NetEdit 2.0 (2.0.2 actually) to discover an ArubaOS-Switch device hosted on a subnet different from the one where the Aruba NetEdit appliance actually runs.

Aruba NetEdit 2.0 is on subnet A and it was able to discover VSX nodes hosted on its subnet...no issues here (a set of credentials was defined for Subnet A) but it logs as unreacheable any device hosted on a routed subnet B reacheable by subnet A (clearly using another set of credentials for that subnet: subnet B and ArubaOS-Switch SSH/SNMPv3 credentials).

From the Aruba NetEdit appliance console successful ping tests against the ArubaOS-Switch devices on subnet B provide good results...so those devices, from the Aruba NetEdit, shouldn't be exactly reported/logged as "unreacheable" IMHO.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Aruba NetEdit 2.0: discovering a device hosted on different subnet

Hi,

The SNMPv3 issue should be solved in next version of NetEdit 2.0.7

/Peter

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi, 

we had the same issue.

I guess you are allready familiar with the seed address.(one ("the first") ArubaOS-CX device at the far end subnet)

Even that wasn't working in all situations for us.

What realy helped was a 1:1 device adding process

So at the device adding form:

Subnet: deviceIP/32 with your related credential

Seed Addresses: deviceIP of the particular device 

We repeated that procedure for each device. Takes some more time but works 100%.

(in some cases adding with a larger target subnet NetEdit added some of the devices but not all)

Regrads

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hi @Rene_D!

I'll for sure will give a try using your /32 approach! Great suggestion

Pointing the Aruba NetEdit directly against the host IP address using your suggested workaround (device IP/32 as Managed subnet + device IP as Seeder) could be a way...but  instead the Aruba NetEdit should correctly using the host's subnet (plus Seeder) otherwise the presence of Managed Subnet and Seed Address parameters (and the discovering concept they were introduced for) will become a little bit useless.

Personally I expect that defining various Managed Subnets should make the Aruba NetEdit capable of contacting hosted devices whitin that subnets (through their respective seed addresses)...and not that each single device must be manually defined...if so we are in front of a "manual targeting method" not a "automatic discovering method".

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Just to make sure: 

if you configured your other managed subnets where your AOS-S devices are located to, with snmp credentials, it should discover them.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

It looks like Aruba NetEdit is not able to discover them...my scenario is:

• NetEdit is on VLAN 2250 (10.255.250.250)
  • A devices subset is hosted on the 1st Managed Subnet on the same VLAN 2250 (10.255.250.0/24) where also NetEdit resides.
  • ArubaOS-CX devices on that 1st Managed Subnet are correctly discovered and managed.
  • 2nd Managed Subnet is defined on a VLAN 3126 (10.140.126.0/24)
  • VLANs are both routed by the very same core (ICMP Ping tests are good from/to switches hosted on those two VLANs)
  • On 2nd Managed Subnet there are mostly ArubaOS-Switch NOS based devices
  • Associated credentials were defined (SSH+SNMPv3) on both Managed Subnets (they are different)

If I add a device (device discovery) a switch on VLAN 3126 discovery process starts correctly with the log message "Discovery of device '10.140.126.117' has begun." (note that the 10.140.126.117 is the seeder IP Address of a device actually managed by HPE IMC via SNMPv3 so I'm pretty sure the SSH+SNMPv3 credentials defined on NetEdit are OK apart not using REST for ArubaOS-Switch based devices [*]) but immediately the message "Discovery classification failed for device '10.140.126.117' since the device is unreachable." is logged. Device addition fails because device discovery fails.

[*] hope the REST credentials lacking is not the cause here...

Highlighted
New Contributor

Just to make sure you are using ArubaOS Devices (meaning nonArubaOS-CX) like the 2900/2500/5400 on your 2nd MGMT subnet?

Because NetEdit works only with ArubaOS-CX Devices like 8300/8400 or the very new 6300/6400.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Hi @Rene_D! Yes, I'm using ArubaOS-Switch based devices (such as Aruba 5400R zl2 and Aruba 2540) on defined 2nd Management Subnet.

Are you really sure it works only with ArubaOS-CX based devices...I mean...it should at least recognize ArubaOS-Switch based devices...I don't pretend that Aruba NetEdit is able to manage or configure them...just recognize them and build relevant network topology.

See what I mean on some screenshots here and look at how ArubaOS-Switch based devices appear on the network topology build around the VSX.

Am I missing something?

Highlighted
MVP Guru Elite

Hi Rene,

With NetEdit 2.0, it is possible to add ArubaOS (29xx, 54xx) with SNMP for monitoring...

PowerArubaSW: Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP... More info

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...) More info

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)

PowerArubaIAP: Powershell Module to use Aruba Instant AP

PowerArubaMC: Powershell Module to use Mobility Controller / Master

ACMP 6.4 / ACMX #107 / ACCP 6.5 / ACSP
Highlighted
New Contributor

Has anyone gotten snmpv3 to work?  I've only gotten snmpv2c to work as expected.

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Do you mean SNMPv3 against ArubaOS-Switch based switches or against ArubaOS-CX based switches? the latter works (!)...the former...I personally was unable to configure my Aruba NetEdit 2.0.2 to discover my SNMPv3 enabled ArubaOS-Switch based switches (never tried SNMPv2 because I don't use it).

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: