Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

Posted Mar 20, 2019 02:44 PM

Hi,

More advice needed.

I'm replacing a Cisco network core with a pair of 8320's setup with VSX. The existing network infrastructure is utising spanning tree. As the 8320's will be the centre of the network, i was going to make them the root of the spanning-tree domain.

On the 8320 i enabled MSTP on both switches and for some some reason it blocks the data on the ISL LAG. I have disconnected everything (even the keepalive) so only the ISL LAG is in place and it remains blocked until i disable spanning tree on one of the switches.

Could someone let me know what the best practice is when it comes to introducing VSX into an enviroment running spanning-tree.

Can spanning-tree be left off the VSX switches and left on all the other switches in the network?

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 21, 2019 06:14 AM

Just an update on this, i have resolved the issue and MSTP is now working ok with the VSX, what i think caused the issue was me putting in the command span prio 1, i believe this is a rpvst command which is not compatible with VSX, when i got rid og that command and setup MSTP correctly all worked fine.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

Posted Apr 06, 2019 02:08 PM

Hey,

today we had a similar problem with MSTP.

Please note that you have to configure BOTH VSX-Members with the SAME spanning-tree priority.

If the spanning-tree priority is different, the ISL goes in blocking state.

I hope this helps someone.

Andy

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

Posted Nov 11, 2019 01:52 PM

Is there any document pointing to that? Good info

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 11, 2019 03:53 PM

@abteenz wrote:

Is there any document pointing to that? Good info

look L2 guide

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS-CX 10.02 VSX with spanning tree

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 11, 2019 06:21 PM

@abteenz wrote: Is there any document pointing to that? Good info

Hi @abteenz, a good starting point would be for sure the Chapter 8 "STP over VSX" available on the latest ArubaOS-CX 10.04 Virtual Switching Extension (VSX) Guide; a same chpater is available on the ArubaOS-CX 10.03 Virtual Switching Extension (VSX) Guide too...there you will find plenty of informations about MSTP/RPVST

Note that ArubaOS-CX 10.02 supports MSTP only (see the ArubaOS-CX 10.02 Virtual Switching Extension (VSX) Guide Chapter 3 VSX -> "Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP)" Paragraph).