Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS-CX VSX: vsx update-software orchestrated update behaviour

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS-CX VSX: vsx update-software orchestrated update behaviour

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 09:09 AM

Hi!

With regards to vsx update-software command for an orchestrated and sequenced VSX update I've a doubt...given the command's description provided on the CLI Guides:

Syntax

vsx update-software <REMOTE-URL> [vrf <VRF-NAME>]

Description

This command downloads new software from the TFTP server and verifies the download. After a successful verification, the command installs the software to the alternative image of both the VSX primary and secondary switches. The command then reboots them in sequence, the VSX secondary switch followed by VSX primary switch. For example if a switch has booted with the primary image, then the command will install the software to secondary image.

I'm asking if once the Secondary VSX node completes its reboot ("Secondary VSX system updated completely. Rebooting primary") will the outlined procedure above wait enough to let all node related VSX LAGs to be up and to collect/distribute again [*] before proceeding with the Primary VSX node?

[*] this should happen, if I'm not mistaken, at least after the linkup-delay timer that have been set expires.

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS-CX VSX: vsx update-software orchestrated update behaviour
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 09:13 AM

Exactly. The secondary sends internal notification to primary that everything is up, running and forwarding. So primary waits for this notification before rebooting.

Live demo and explanation tomorrrow @TSS Paris.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS-CX VSX: vsx update-software orchestrated update behaviour

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 09:29 AM

@vincent.giles wrote:

Exactly. The secondary sends internal notification to primary that everything is up, running and forwarding. So primary waits for this notification before rebooting.

OK, thank you Giles...that's the expected answer. That's good.

Just one question more: what happen if one VSX LAGs show issues (no collecting no distributing) just after the VSX Secondary has been updated? It happened to us...did the procedure stop&wait and alert the user via CLI asking to solve the issue before proceeding with VSX Primary?

@vincent.giles wrote: Live demo and explanation tomorrrow @TSS Paris.

Well attending HPE TSS 2019 in Paris should be fantastic...for lucky (invited) guys!

Unfortunately I'm not among them...sigh.