Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: an hour ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Beginner getting started

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Beginner getting started

Posted Dec 25, 2018 03:10 AM

I have just received a 8320 (JL581A), and I am a complete n00b to anything beyond home networking. Someone will help set it up only weeks in the future, I'd like to get started with the basics now. Following the various documents available for this switch, i have not been able to achieve much. Can you advice on basic config?

Setup:

- single switch serving simple flat network, single vlan

- all devices on this network are in 192.168.1.1/24

- all destination IPs outside this range should be routed to 192.168.1.45, connected to if 1/1/1

- 192.168.1.45 is also DHCP and DNS server, clients connected to other ports should get an IP from this gateway

- to one of the ports an AP (345) will be connected, clients there should also be on 192.168.1.1/24 and get IP from DHCP server.

Just enabling a few ports (no shutdown) and connecting clients to that gets me nowhere). So i tried to assign those ports to vlan 1 (no routing, vlan access 1), which established connectivity, but no idea if thats what i should be doing. Still DHCP isn't served (it was for a bit, but forgot to persist configuration and was lost on reboot, even though i think i did the same by simple adding interfaces to vlan). I've been reading about L2 vs L3 networking, don't think i understand it, but don't want all traffic to be broadcasted to all devices of course (which i read happens in L2 mode?). Will try to verify with wireshark (if packets make it that far at least, no idea...)

So, whats the very basic setup I need to enable clients connected to any of the ports to receive an IP from DHCP at 192.168.1.45, for these clients to be able to communicate to each other point-to-point, and for traffic with destination IP outside 192.168.1.1/24 (or actually any traffic to an IP that isn't known locally) to be routed to 192.168.1.45?

Thanks very much for some hints on how to get started! I look forward to understanding this starting point and then learning further.

• 2.  RE: Beginner getting started
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 25, 2018 04:38 PM

Noob or not, IMHO, playing for the very first time with an Aruba 8320 switch...means you're a very lucky beginner.

First thing first: create an account on HPE MyNetworking portal (or simple login if you already have it) to register your Aruba 8320 Switch, that way you will be entitled to download all released firmwares for your switch (after all, sooner or later you will be involved in updating your switch software).

Then...where to start? documentation. First documentation.

Then you need to learn how to configure the dedicated OoBM interface - first time via the serial console port - in order to to be able to consequently manage your Switch using the dedicated mgmt VRF (data plane is separated by management plane).

Basically your scenario should be easy to setup (by assigning an IP Address to existing VLAN 1 or to do the same by using a new VLAN Id and then untagging all required port on that new VLAN Id if VLAN 1 shouldn't be used at all).

Defining a default gateway should eventually the ultimate step to take...but clients on the untagged VLAN Id you chose should be already be able to ping their default gateway..

• 3.  RE: Beginner getting started

Posted Dec 25, 2018 05:43 PM

Thanks! That was a great starting help. Yes, i am feeling lucky (except for the serious noise right next to me on the desk, until it goes into the comms closet).

Thanks for that! I have managed "interface vlan 1" before and then set an ip, was able to reach the web UI at that ip then. Glad to hear a start is as simple as that.

My problem is that the docs are complete and tell me exactly what to do, but don't help me make decisions as a beginner. I've spent today with a bunch of intro networking videos on youtube, and think i now "understand" that L2 switching is sufficient for my needs.

I have been having some issues with getting the switch registered on HPE MyNetworking, my serial number isn't recognized. Will figure that out soon. Still on 10.00 firmware now..

Thanks again, I'll come back if i have slightly less n00by questions. Happy Holidays!

• 4.  RE: Beginner getting started

Posted Dec 27, 2018 04:20 AM

Thanks a lot again. Googling L2 vs L3 network difference had led me astray (multiple pages told me L2 always broadcasts all traffic--I understand now such flooding only happens when destination is unknown by switch). So this turned out to be real simple. I also set up my first lag to the wifi AP (haha, created a loop at first because i didn't set up the lag before connecting the second cable).

So this is all working beautifully, thanks a lot for the pointers.

Left to do is that i can't ping from the switch outside the subnet (all other connected devices work just fine), that may be because i haven't set a default gateway yet), and upgrade ArubaOS-CX, I'm still on 10.00.00.0018. I won't write back for now (unless you wish).

• 5.  RE: Beginner getting started

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 29, 2018 10:31 AM

We (I) wish! every Aruba 8320/8400 user/administrator experience is welcomed!

• 6.  RE: Beginner getting started

Posted Jan 10, 2019 06:04 AM

Its all running very nicely now. Just updated to 10.02.0001, and looking through the _updated_ docs, i realized i did not yet set platform forwarding-table-mode.

However, despite it being in the 10.02 docs, "platform" does not appear to be an available command both in config and in main context. Do you know what i am missing?