Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

MVP Expert

Re: Check out the New Aruba CX Switches

Docs are online now (search "aruba" on support.hpe.com, filter by date and look at any recent guide with references to Aruba 6300 and/or Aruba 6400)...there are, if I'm not mistaken, about 41 guides about ArubaOS-CX 10.04...and, among them, some are specifically about Aruba 6300 and/or Aruba 6400.

The EVPN over VXLAN chapter is available on ArubaOS-CX 10.04 IP Routing Guide for Aruba 6300, Aruba 6400, Aruba 8320 and Aruba 8325 Switch Series manual.

Frequent Contributor I

Missing 24XGT Switch requirement for this Family. 

MVP Expert

Hi!

@Dinusha Chandrasinghe wrote:

Missing 24XGT Switch requirement for this Family. 

what do you mean with "missing"? what family exactly?

Probably I misunderstood your notice but, as far as I know, the Aruba 6400 24-port 10Gbase-T and 4-port SFP56 Module exists for Aruba 6400 Switch Series and it has R0X42A as SKU...and up to 5 (Aruba 6405) or 10 (Aruba 6410) R0X42A Line Modules are supported on Aruba 6400 Switch Series.

On the other end on Aruba 6300 Switch Series you're right...at best there is only the Aruba 6300M 24-port HPE Smart Rate 1/2.5/5GbE Class 6 PoE and 4-port (JL660A) module that is offering >= 1Gbps on Copper...but no Switch model with 24 (or 48) ports with 10Gbps on Copper...SFP+ with Aruba 10GBASE-T SFP+ RJ45 30m Cat6A Transceiver JL563A (or SFP56) seems the way to go.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor I

Yes, I mean in 6300 Series. Something like HPE FF 5700-32XGT Switch. 

MVP Expert

Maybe at Aruba marketing/engineering/product management agreed that an Aruba 6300 switch model with 24, 32 or 48 10G-BaseT ports doesn't properly fit within its series (technically shouldn't be an issue to produce one...but, maybe, from marketing standpoint, they are seeing no benefits in having such model <-- maybe I'm wrong here but I see a decline of 10G-BaseT in favour of SFP+ optics and access layer at 10Gbps seems eventually better covered already with SFP+ NIC than with RJ45).
Frequent Contributor I

Still, we hope to find replacement FF from this series.OS-CX 6300 series practically not possible to place as TOR switch due to size. In the Server side, easy to design solution using 10GbaseT than Fiber.  Fortunately, still, we have single 5700 switches and 8320 (don't support SFP+).

Expecting the answer to these problems.

Aruba Employee

Dinusha,

There are 2 solutions available today in a 1RU format that could possibly be a replacement for your FF5700's. First the ARUBA 8320 48P 1G/10GBASE-T AND 6P 40G QSFP+ WITH X472 5 FANS 2 POWER SUPPLY SWITCH BUNDLE (JL581A). This switch will fit his TOR scenario with 40G up links. If the option of SFP/SFP+ is a requirement then ARUBA 8320 48P 10G SFP/SFP+ AND 6P 40G QSFP+ WITH X472 5 FANS 2 POWER SUPPLY SWITCH BUNDLE (JL479A) would be the other solution. Both of these will fit if there is IP connectivity without advanced DC protocols.  Plus if you pair them up in a VSX cluster then you can have a great HA solution with live upgrades for no down time if the servers are dual connected.

ROB HAVILAND

SR. DIRECTOR TME, ARUBA WIRED INTELLIGENT EDGE
CAMPUS / DATA CENTER
M: 414.841.3605 | rob.a.haviland@hpe.com
8000 FOOTHILLS BLVD | ROSEVILLE, CA 95747 USA
MVP Expert

@rob.a.haviland wrote: If the option of SFP/SFP+ is a requirement then ARUBA 8320 48P 10G SFP/SFP+ AND 6P 40G QSFP+ WITH X472 5 FANS 2 POWER SUPPLY SWITCH BUNDLE (JL479A) would be the other solution.

Hello Rob, just a note: considering that Dinusha asked specifically about a model with plenty of 10GBase-T ports I think that suggesting a model with a lot of SFP/SFP+ ports (to be used for access) isn't probably for him a strict requirement at all (indeed he emphasized his position with the statement "In the Server side, easy to design solution using 10GbaseT than Fiber.")...given that is worth to specify - for the sake of clarity - that an Aruba 8320 JL479A (48 10G SFP/SFP+) is able to support at best twelve Aruba 10GBase-T SFP+ RJ45 Transceivers (JL563A) and only where inserted on its first twelve interfaces (1/0/1-1/0/12)...so in the end, about the scenario he is probably thinking of, the most suitable approach picking an Aruba 8320 switch series model would be for sure to use the JL581A you first suggested instead of the JL479A. Just my two cents here!

Frequent Contributor I

yes parnassus, 8325 is the best Aruba option for my scenario but the customer also needs SFP+ ports. we have only QSFP+ option for uplink. If at least a few SFP+ ports are better. If not do we have option split QSFP+ into Four SPF+

MVP Expert

Hi, yeah the Aruba 8325 will do the job for sure...but its baseline is somewhat higher than the Aruba 8320 one having most of its ports capable of 25Gbps or 100Gbps speeds, depending on SKU (so using it just for SFP+ is like "underusing" it...clearly is more "future proof" since you can upgrade it just upgrading installed transceivers)...if your main requirement is instead just having some SFP+ interfaces and very few QSFP+ (=< 6 ports) I still suggest you the Aruba 8320 (JL479A): it provides 48 10Gbps SFP/SFP+ interfaces and 6 40Gbps QSFP+ interfaces, 5 hot swappable Fans and 2 hot swappable Power Supplies...really a performer.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: