Wired Intelligent Edge (Campus Switching and Routing)

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Hi everyone,

Please can you clear me up the difference between Comware, ProCurve and ProVision switches and how are related to Aruba switches?

Regards,
Julián

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Comware, ProCurve, ProVision and Aruba Switches

Comware and ProVision are (Network Switch) operating systems brand names.

Comware (5 and 7) is actually used on Data Center - and some Access too - oriented H3C/HPE FlexNetwork switches (and on some old 3Com Switch too) .

HP ProVision was the NOS name of OS running int Switch of almost all HP ProCurve marketing brand/networking division.

HP ProCurve (see above).

Actually the Aruba ArubaOS-Switch NOS is the (re)branded name of HP ProVision NOS...so those campus/access HP ProCurve switch not EoL actually (re)branded into Aruba are now running the ArubaOS-Switch.

ArubaOS-CX is instead the new - from scratch - NOS used on platforms like Aruba 8400X and 8320 (Campus Core).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
MVP Guru

Comware and ProVision are (Network Switch) operating systems brand names.

Comware (5 and 7) is actually used on Data Center - and some Access too - oriented H3C/HPE FlexNetwork switches (and on some old 3Com Switch too) .

HP ProVision was the NOS name of OS running int Switch of almost all HP ProCurve marketing brand/networking division.

HP ProCurve (see above).

Actually the Aruba ArubaOS-Switch NOS is the (re)branded name of HP ProVision NOS...so those campus/access HP ProCurve switch not EoL actually (re)branded into Aruba are now running the ArubaOS-Switch.

ArubaOS-CX is instead the new - from scratch - NOS used on platforms like Aruba 8400X and 8320 (Campus Core).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Hi Parnassus,

Thanks very much for your interest. Then I understand Aruba switches run ProVision OS (except ArubaOS-CX which I am clear they are designed by Aruba from scratch). Just run ProVision OS or does Aruba have made some improvement into that ProVision OS?

Regards,

Julián

MVP Guru

Actually marketed Aruba switch series - Aruba 8000 switch series excluded - so Aruba 2530, 2540, 2920, 2930F, 2930M, 3810M and 5400R zl2...run on ArubaOS-Switch which, as said, is the rebranded name of well known HP ProVision OS (HP ProVision is also the name of the various ASIC generations - now ProVision 6th generation is the current one - still used on those switches these days).

With ArubaOS-Switch (being the rename of ProVision OS), Aruba started with the legacy features provided by ProVision OS and enhanced them under continuous development.

Highlighted
MVP Expert

Hi,

So I understand it is something like:

ArubaOS-Switch = ProVisionOS + enhancements.

Regards,
Julián
Highlighted

Just to somewhat clarify, there are significant core feature enhancements. It was not just a rebrand.

If this response is more than 1 year old, it may no longer be accurate. Please consult official Aruba documentation, TAC or your Aruba SE.

| Aruba Alumni | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

Highlighted

I think we can try this summary in order to give us an idea of what is an Switch OS Name and what is a "Switches Portfolio" name:

OS - Switch Portfolio Name (Product Line) - Brand Name
CatOS - Catalyst - Cisco
IOS - Catalyst - Cisco
NX-OS - Nexus - Cisco
VRP - S Series/Cloud Engine - Huawei
Comware - FlexNetwork/FlexFabric - 3Com/H3C
Provision - Procurve - HP (rebranded to ArubaOS for switches)
ArubaOS - Aruba Switches - HPE
ArubaOS-CX - Aruba Switches - HPE

It is just an analogy to what happens with other vendors.

Regards

PS: If you feel this information is useful and solved your question or problem, please do not forget to mark it as a solution and give me some kudos.
Highlighted

Yes, this attachment is for others who are converting/transitioning from hpe provision to arubaos-cx.

After discussing, reading, and searching, you-tubing, and complaining, I found the attached command compare document.

CLI:  AOS-CS versus AOS-switch(hpe provision) versus Cisco

../smb/air