Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

This thread has been viewed 61 times
  • 1.  Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Jan 17, 2019 08:21 AM

Hi there,

i have a Mobility Controller Aruba 7030 version 8.2.1.0.
    I have a 303H access point with some Ethernet ports on the bottom of the AP.

I'm trying to set these Ethernet ports (E1, E2 and E3) from the Aruba Mobility Controller.

I'm able to set up correctly only on port E1; instead port E2 and E3 stay in disable state (no link).

Here attached the setting I did on the policy:
    - first of all I created a new Wired Ap Profile (immagine1.PNG)
    - than i linked it to the AP Wired port (immagine2.PNG)

I'm not able to see the setting for the other ports E2 and E3.

Thank you in advance for your help

• 2.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 17, 2019 08:37 AM

Hi!

You configure the port settings in the AP-group, this is how it looks in the CLI:

ap-group "your-AP-Group"
       virtual-ap "Your-VAPs"
       dot11a-radio-profile "RP-A-RAP"
       dot11g-radio-profile "RP-G-RAP"
       enet0-port-profile "Uplink-port"
       enet1-port-profile "Your-wired-port"
       enet2-port-profile "Your-wired-port"
       enet3-port-profile "Your-wired-port"
       enet4-port-profile "Your-wired-port"

!

I think in 8.2.1.0 web UI you can´t go to "profiles" view under the AP-group configuration. There should be some way of doing it in the UI but I can´t seem to find it, try CLI according to above if possible.

Cheers,

• 3.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Jan 17, 2019 09:12 AM

Thank you Christoffer, via CLI worked immediately!

Great! solved in 5 mins ;-)

• 4.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted May 30, 2019 12:29 PM

Is there anyway to configure a specific profiles for different AP or the changes is pushed to all ap within the group ? I got 10 AP 303H in the same group but i need to have different wired profile on each AP !!!

• 5.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted May 30, 2019 01:18 PM

@vcourtois wrote:

Is there anyway to configure a specific profiles for different AP or the changes is pushed to all ap within the group ? I got 10 AP 303H in the same group but i need to have different wired profile on each AP !!!

You can make use of "AP Specific" settings that will over-ride different settings that an AP inheritis from it's "AP-Group". You can access this in the GUI through ArubaOS 6.5, but in ArubaOS 8.X, I believe this is still only available in the CLI. I make use of ap-specific settings occassionally if i want to add an SSID to a specific AP, exclude it, max out power, or just to do a "shut/no shut" on a downstream device plugged into port 1 or a 205H - without affecting all of the APs- https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_85_Web_Help/content/arubaos-solutions/1cli-commands/ap-name.htm?Highlight=ap-name

Curious though, why do they have to be different? Are the wired ports meant to be access-ports on individual VLANs, what about the uplink ports that the AP plugs into?

• 6.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted May 30, 2019 01:48 PM

Actually there is a possibility of 8 different untagged vlan and some place where the 303h are intstall only need access to one vlan and other place 4 different so i need to be able to specific each port on each AP

btw thanks for the fast reply really appreciate it

• 7.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted May 30, 2019 03:34 PM

@vcourtois wrote:

Actually there is a possibility of 8 different untagged vlan and some place where the 303h are intstall only need access to one vlan and other place 4 different so i need to be able to specific each port on each AP

btw thanks for the fast reply really appreciate it

Makes sense. Wanted to double-check as we went through a similar experience several years ago in our Residence-Halls. The look my co-engineers gave me when I told them we would need at minimum 40 AP-Groups for the Residence-Halls (40 Unique Wired-Profiles) and then x2 if we were looking at disable 2.4 on some of them. :-D I actually made a diagram demonstrating how each "change" results in needing to duplicate the base AP-Group (You want an AP with Wired Ports tagging VLAN 10) x2 (an AP with Wired Port tagging VLAN 10 + 2.4 Turned Off and an AP with Wired Port tagging VLAN 10 with 2.4 Turned On) - so would have ended up with 80. We made compromises and convinced our LAN team to go with a 14 AP-Group solution after we demonstrated that argument.

Since then we've gotten down to a single base profile when it comes to the (wired ports). Instead of our APs tagging the wired ports. Our APs exist on the same Access VLAN as the wired Ports - policy enforcement is done via DACLs on the uplink port based on authentication type.

AP Specific Profiles are probably a good use-case for you as long as you and your co-engineers know about them and remember them - can be easy to forget. You "change/override" only what you need changed - and inherrit all the other settings. Although AP-Specific Configs aren't viewable in the 8.X GUI, you could just make them flat out AP-Groups (cloned from a base profile you make) - but then if you want to make changes (add an SSID to all 10 sites - you'll need to go in and add it to each AP-Group) so more of a preference for you and how you want to manage your settings I would say. :-)

• 8.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 27, 2021 05:51 AM
    Hi,

I have an issue with 303h wired interfaces. The client is being present under the correct vlan (vlan350) on the ap cli out but being presented on another vlan (vlan 490) on the switch

I have tried tagging and untagging the client vlan on the AP uplink port ont the switch with no sucess ?

switch config for reference :

interface 2/2
    tagged vlan 328,490
    untagged vlan 350
    no cdp enable
    loop-protect
    exit

Any help would greatly appreciated

------------------------------
    David Hurley

• 9.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 27, 2021 06:26 AM
    What the Ap Wired Profile config ?

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 10.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 27, 2021 06:37 AM
    Hi,

Config is below :

ap-group "DEANSGATE-Wired-TEST"
    virtual-ap "Eduroam"
    virtual-ap "UOM_WIFI"
    virtual-ap "UoM_Guest"
    dot11a-radio-profile "standard-a"
    dot11g-radio-profile "standard-g"
    enet0-port-profile "shutdown"
    enet1-port-profile "trunk_jrulmd"
    enet2-port-profile "trunk_jrulmd"
    enet3-port-profile "trunk_jrulmd"
    ap-system-profile "WLC-JH-WIRED"
    !
    ap wired-port-profile "trunk_jrulmd"
    wired-ap-profile "trunk_vlan328_350"
    enet-link-profile "Eth_100M"
    bridge-role "authenticated"
    !
    ap wired-ap-profile "trunk_vlan328_350"
    wired-ap-enable
    trusted
    forward-mode bridge
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport access vlan 350
    switchport trunk native vlan 350
    !

Many Thanks

David Hurley

• 11.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 28, 2021 06:03 AM
    missing allow vlan 328 ?

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 12.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 28, 2021 03:37 AM
    Hi,

Create a Virtual AP Profile for that APs that you need and add below Configuration.

ap-name <name of the AP>
    exclude-virtual-ap <FL>
    virtaul-ap <New Virtual AP >

Tharindu Pamoda

• 13.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 28, 2021 04:04 AM
    Hi,

Can I ask Why you need to need to involve vap profiles as I thought these were for the SSID's

We are not able to get the clients to work on the wired ports on the 303h and correctly present them into the cleint vlan ?

Many THanks

David Hurley

• 14.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 28, 2021 04:42 AM
    Hi,

Inside the Virtual profile it include all the configuration related to APs, Actually I mention this is If you need configure a specific profiles for different APs. 

Tharindu Pamoda

• 15.  RE: Configure AP wired ports (E1, E2, E3) on AP 303H with Mobility Controller

Posted Apr 28, 2021 08:35 AM
    Hi,

Having looked on the switch I think the issue is with the device-profile for the AP's

This was seen as working on the old cisco switches (we migrated to aruba 2930f switches)

Configuration for device-profile : default-ap-profile

untagged-vlan      : 490

tagged-vlan        : None

ingress-bandwidth  : 100%

egress-bandwidth   : 100%

cos                : None

speed-duplex       : auto

poe-max-power      : Class/LLDP

poe-priority       : critical

allow-jumbo-frames : Disabled

allow-tunneled-node: Enabled

profile-mode       : port-mode

poe-allocate-by    : class

Looking at the profile I think I would need to 'tag' the client vlan also within the profile to get this working ?

Many Thanks

David Hurley