Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution

Configuring a Voice VLAN on a 5406

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Configuring a Voice VLAN on a 5406

Posted Feb 26, 2020 04:08 AM

Hi All,

I'm just about to look at configuring a Voice VLAN on a network with the following topology.

A 5406 - J9866A is the core switch with several vlans configured. Servers, Workstations, Printers, Wifi and a management vlan.

The 5406 has 10G links to 2920 edge switches which Workstations and Printers are patched into. Each switch has its own 10G link. They are not stacked.

We have purchased two 2830M POE switches which the telephones will patch into. Workstations may patch into the telephones but not initially.

Following this guide: VoIP Deployment on ArubaOS Switch 

I was going to create the voice vlan on the 5406, put the VOIP PBX into that vlan and re-ip the VOIP PBX to have an ip in the voice vlans range.

Create the voice and workstations vlan on the 2830M.

And tag the uplink ports on the 5406 and 2830Ms to allow the two vlans down the uplink trunks.

Do I need to put any more config into the 5406?

At some point in the future they will be moving to SIP trunks.

Should I look at QoS between the voice vlan and the vlan the firewall resides in?

Any tips would be well received.

Steve