Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Connecting X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A)

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Connecting X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A)

Posted Mar 08, 2019 04:21 PM

Hi community.

I am making a network design and I will have to connect two Aruba 8320 switches using two links with X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A) to implement VSX.

I have some doubts:

1. For these MPO transceivers, what is the position of the key slot?, is up or is down?

2. Depending on the position of the key slot in the transceiver, what MPO Trunk Cable type should I use: A or B?, what is the position of the key at both ends of this MPO trunk cable?

Thanks in advacefor your support.

Regards

• 2.  RE: Connecting X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A)

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 10, 2019 07:22 AM

I think JH231A Transceivers should have the Key Slot on top so the MPO cable connector should be inserted with the Key Up into the QSFP+ Transceiver...but indipendently from that you should need a A-to-B (Type B, so cross) Key Up/Key Up MPO female/female Patch Cord Cable [*] between both Aruba 8320...because Tx should go to Rx and vice versa...at least this is what I think if you are arranging a direct link between the two by using just fiber optic patch cord(s).

Are you trying to setup VSX dispersed over a campus and so you can't use just DAC Cables up to 7 meters long between your two Aruba 8230?

[*] see here as reference.

• 3.  RE: Connecting X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A)

Posted Mar 10, 2019 08:58 AM

Hi Parnassus

Thanks for your reference link, it is quite complete.

Just one more question, can I assume by default that these transceivers have male conector (they have pins)?

Regards

• 4.  RE: Connecting X142 40G QSFP+ MPO SR4 transceivers (JH231A)

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 10, 2019 10:11 AM

@N3tw0rk3r wrote: can I assume by default that these transceivers have male conector (they have pins)?

AFAIK Yes, ArubaOS-Switch/ArubaOS-CX and HPE FlexNetwork QSFP+ Transceivers should have a pair of pins inside their own optic so the MPO Patch Cord's connectors should be unpinned (so with holes) to properly match (as example, have a look at HP QK729A Premier Flex MPO/MPO OM4 Cable's connectors).