Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

Posted Dec 11, 2018 05:19 PM

I am trying to add an ip-helper address to the vlans on our 2930F switch.  The switch is connected to aruba central

when i console into the switch via SSH and the IP i can see the config but i cannot add ip-helper in the vlan because i cannot config interface vlan61  it says invalid command.

How can i get my ip-helper added?  is it done through Aruba central?  and if so where do i do it?

• 2.  RE: DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2018 05:00 AM

Hi rvopat,

If a switch or any other device is connected to central, all configuration is done through central. 

As far as I know, ip-helper is not supported in Central within a GUI group. You would need to create a template group and there you can configure everything you need. 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 12, 2018 09:45 AM

The solution to this was to login to aruba central  go to wired Management, choose the switch to add the ip-helper, go to advanced settings

and enter vlan xx on line 1

then enter ip helper-address x.x.x.x then hit save and it sends it to the switch.

• 4.  RE: DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2018 11:47 AM

Hi rvopat,

This should work as well, but be aware, that every command, send via this method to the switch, is overwritten, as soon as the feature is added to central. 

So, as soon as DHCP relay is added to the GUI, your config will be overwritten and that's the reason, why I would suggest to work with template groups. Using template groups, you are always aware of the full config on the switch, as central will always check against the template. 

Changes with the Advanced Settings option, will not be checked. 

BR

Florian

• 5.  RE: DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

Posted Dec 12, 2018 12:23 PM

could you explain how to create the template?

• 6.  RE: DHCP Relay Setup on Vlan 2930f connected to Aruba Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 12:04 AM

Hi rvopat,

sure. 

First, you need to create a template group in Central. Go to 'Global Settings' and click the 'New Group' Button on the 'Manage Groups' page:

Make sure to check the 'Use as a template group' checkbox. 

This will create a template group for you. 

Afterward, go to 'Wired Management' and you will get a Template list, instead of the GUI. 

You can now add a new template. The cool thing, you can import the config from your switch and Central will automatically create a template from that config. 

You can use as many variables as you want, to make your template usable for multiple switches. 

You manage your variables on the 'Variables' pages. Simply download the current variables set and add variables as needed. 

Also, have a look at the documentation for template groups:

http://help.central.arubanetworks.com/2.4.7/documentation/online_help/content/public_cloud/applications/wired_management/prov_template.htm?Highlight=template

In general, this is what you need to do. If you have specific questions regarding template groups, just ask :) 

BR

Florian