Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all
This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  DHCP issue

Posted Mar 31, 2019 04:47 PM

Hi,

I have a switch 2530-24G which is not functioning as needed. I have a DHCP server (win2012r2) which is working good with other switches (clients that are connected on that switch do get IP addresses) but it not working with the clients that are connected on this switch I am writing about. Is just have configured the vlan which the clients will be connected to and the tagged port on the switch for the vlan. I do have to mention that the relay address is configured on the firewall and the scope which is configured for this vlan is actually working on other switches. So im more looking if there is something that needs to be done on the switch itself, I mean maybe something that tells the switch to forward dhcp request!

BR

• 2.  RE: DHCP issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 31, 2019 04:55 PM

Is your vlan configured on your 2530 switch configured on the same vlan as where your ip-helper on your firewall is?

Could you share some config details?

• 3.  RE: DHCP issue
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2019 04:58 PM

Just found out the problem. The new switch which was recently set up was connected to another switch via fiber and the port which it was connected on the other side was not tagged. Thank you for your fast reply. 

• 4.  RE: DHCP issue

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 31, 2019 05:01 PM
    it is my pleasure to help you

• 5.  RE: DHCP issue

Posted Mar 16, 2020 03:51 AM

What is DHCP?

In any network, if a host wants to communicate with another host, then it must have a unique IP address for it. Whether it is a local area network or a wide area network. The work of DHCP is to assign an IP address to the hosts. DHCP is a client/server protocol. DHCP port number is 67 and 68. DHCP client work on port number 67 and DHCP server work on port number 68.

How does the DHCP Dora process  work?

dora-process.png

DHCP operation divides into 4 phases.

• Server Discovery
    • IP Lease Offer
    • IP Lease Request
    • IP lease Acknowledgement

This DHCP operation called DORA Process.

Source:- https://www.networkingsignal.com/dhcp-dora-process/