Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

DUR fails after reboot

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  DUR fails after reboot

Posted Jan 10, 2019 09:53 AM

Hi there,

I'm currently testing a 2930F with ClearPass and Downloadable user roles.

Everything works fine, until I reboot the switch.

After the switch boots, I can see the log saying it could not download the role, and all devices get a DenyAll  role.

If I then disable and re-enable the ports, they all get their role properly.

Any idea what can be the problem?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2019 10:00 AM
    It’s likely that time sync hasn’t occurred yet.

• 3.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

Posted Jan 10, 2019 11:10 AM

And how can I overcome the problem?

How can I delay the port authentications to that I can ensure everything is Ok by the time the first request is sent to ClearPass?

• 4.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 10, 2019 11:13 AM
    Unfortunately you can’t today. I would recommend reaching out to your Aruba team to inquire about potential changes in the future.

• 5.  RE: DUR fails after reboot
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 08:20 AM

There are multiple ways you can deal with this problem:

Personally I would recommend point 2 and 3 from the following list:

1. Lower (S)NTP snyc time from the default 720s=20min to 120s=2min that time get synchronized quickly after a reboot. Otherwise you may have to wait 20min before DUR will work if the first SNTP request failed.

2. Set an approximate time which is used by the switch after a a power loss or reboot using job-scheduler command, e.g.:

job "set_time" at reboot "time 12/24/2018 00:00:00"

This is a least more accurate before the time is successfully updated via S(NTP) than the default date (01/01/90 00:00:00) which is used after a power loss .

3. Create a new user-role to be used as the initial role with a reauth-period defined. Otherwise failed authentications when the radius server is not reachable in time after a reboot cause clients to get stuck in the default initial role (denyall).

class ipv4 "denyall-ipv4"
      10 match ip 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255
    exit

class ipv6 "denyall-ipv6"
      10 match ipv6 ::/0 ::/0
    exit

policy user "denyall"
      10 class ipv4 "denyall-ipv4" action deny
      20 class ipv6 "denyall-ipv6" action deny
    exit

aaa authorization user-role name "denyall-reauth"
      policy "denyall"
      reauth-period 60
    exit

aaa authorization user-role initial-role "denyall-reauth"

• 6.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

Posted Apr 13, 2020 11:19 PM

This only work for MAC-AUTH service, how would you do re-auth to dot1x service for client in deny_all role?

• 7.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2020 08:57 AM

Hi,

You can apply the configuration below on the switch port:

aaa port-access authenticator <port number> reauth-period 86400

Or you can configure clearpass to return the radius attribute "session-timeout" with the desired timeout value.

• 8.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

Posted Apr 14, 2020 07:25 PM

Thanx for the reply. The default role deny_all normally happens when the site has a power failure and the CP server is not available when the switch has booted. 

The only way this will work is reauth-period on the switch config. CP is not assigning this role to having the attribute returned in CP will not work, if my thinking is correct? Also the time you set for reauth, you would need very low in order for the reauth to trigger after the site is fully up after power failure, normally 20-40min after the power is restored.

Will the radius-server tracking assist to do the reauth as soon as it discovers that the CP server is reachable?

• 9.  RE: DUR fails after reboot

Posted Apr 23, 2020 09:16 PM

The devices getting stuck in denyall initial role is fixed in firmware v16.10.