Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Firmware updates

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Firmware updates

Posted Jul 17, 2020 10:54 AM

I just recently discovered it is possible to push out firmware updates to my aruba 3810m switches using airwave. So I am trying to figure whether to use airwave or solarwinds orion. So far solarwinds looks easier

• 2.  RE: Firmware updates

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 17, 2020 11:51 AM

Hi! what's exactly the question? if monitoring solution A is better than monitoring solution B with regards to "pushing firmware update to monitored switches" feature?

• 3.  RE: Firmware updates

Posted Jul 17, 2020 11:55 AM
    i would like to know if anyone has experience with either products and which one they find to work the best

Janelle D. Provine
    Network Engineer
    Communication & Information Services
    Technical Support: 309.671.3400

Direct Phone: 309.671.8445
    email: jprovine@uic.edu

• 4.  RE: Firmware updates

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 17, 2020 07:57 PM

Hi Janelle, that is a very tough question...one should know exactly both products (in details) to provide you a like-for-like comparison. I'm not an expert about Solarwinds Orion neither about Aruba Airwave (I use HPE IMC and, concurrently, LibreNMS) so I can't really be of help...but, just a consideration...if you're looking for a NMS specifically tailored around HPE Aruba devices (where the N of NMS really means Network, thus not necessarily an NMS engineered to be the "Swiss Army knife" for any Servers and any Application management and monitoring)...and I mean...that's quite true when you have a lot of Aruba wired and wireless devices to monitor and manage in your network...typically it happens in campus scenarios...probably a NMS developed by the same Vendor of your devices is (a) a lock-in (Vendor tends to focus centrally on managing its devices avoiding to enlarge the application capabilities and features against 3rd party devices/applications...limiting the perimeter of action of its tool) but it is also (b) a very efficient tool (because it is engineered to be effective in monitoring and managing exactly those devices the Vendor develops, sells and supports...so it can't be in a better position when it develops its NMS application).

If Aruba Airwave fits your needs in terms of monitoring and management it could be really enough...but if you're looking for a NMS open to everything as the Solarwinds Orion looks like it is...maybe the latter is better than the former (again: IMHO they can't really be compared like-for-like).