Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Gre Tunnel between a Cisco 3750 Switch and a Aruba 7240 Controller

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Gre Tunnel between a Cisco 3750 Switch and a Aruba 7240 Controller

Posted Apr 07, 2015 04:22 PM

Trying to setup a GRE Tunnel between a Cisco Switch and a Aruba Controller that are in seperate states and have connectivity to each other. 

Arbua Controlelr Model:

7240 - Code - 6.2.1.2

Cisco Switch 

3750 - Code 12.2(46)SE

Does anyone have a good working config example

• 2.  RE: Gre Tunnel between a Cisco 3750 Switch and a Aruba 7240 Controller

Posted Aug 19, 2015 11:52 PM

• 3.  RE: Gre Tunnel between a Cisco 3750 Switch and a Aruba 7240 Controller

Posted Oct 08, 2015 12:32 PM

Hi Bill,

We're working on this also. The Aruba MAS switch will support a GRE tunnel back to the controller but after a full pilot and test of the MAS switches we don't really care for them and look forward to not using them again. :). In fact the ability to port over GRE to a controller is the only think about the MAS's we liked. Personally I'd rather use a netgear switch than a MAS. Thankfully there's a good number of established switch vendors around. We always hear and seem to confirm Aruba does great at wireless/RF but not so good at networking in general. Hopefully HP can help them out with networking concepts and execution. 

So we're trying to find a way to build a GRE tunnel from other switches to the controller. I've found that the Cisco 3750 does not support GRE tunnels. It will allow you to configure them but they won't forward traffic.

Just search this link for "GRE"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/68461-high-cpu-utilization-cat3750.html#topic3

I'm going to try with a 3650 and 2960. I'll let you know what I find.

Fred