Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: an hour ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

How failover works?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  How failover works?

Posted Jan 23, 2020 10:07 AM

Hi all,

We are going to use 2x 3810m switches that are acting as routers and handling BGP session with public AS

Several questions about it:

1) If we mix different models of switches (e.g. 48 ports with 24 ports), put them in stacking and make commander/standby, how will it act during failover if there are some hosts that are connected to 48ports switch, but not to 24? (I hope it works like master/slave in HA mode?)

2) As they will handle bgp from the uplink how it will act about it? What is the better way to configure it, is it something to do with VRRP? Does it support dual multi-homed connectivity somehow? Or LACP is solution?

3) Not related to failover, but: Firewall is going to be placed there to filter traffic from the hosts that are connected (using bonding configuration on server side) to both switches. Taking into account that BGP is running there with announced public IPs, where would you put the firewall ? (actually also 2 firewalls in HA), e.g. Watchguard XTM515

Appreciate any advice

Thank you

• 2.  RE: How failover works?

Posted Jan 24, 2020 12:54 PM

1. How do you mean? A failover is initiated when the master goes down. So you lose the connections on that switch.

2. You only have one ip on the stack so vrrp will not be a solution for this.

When you configure a stack you can create a lacp trunk with ports on the 2 switches.

How many routes are you learning from you uplink provider? only the 0.0.0.0? if so why don't you do this on the watchguard box. The 3810 supports up to 10k routes so not full table.

As the 3810 do not support routing instances i don't think its a good idea to terminate your external bgp routes on this box.

I would do BGP router ---> XTM --> 3810 ---> servers