Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2

Posted Jul 12, 2017 03:11 AM

We're currently looking at deploying IPv6 accross our network. We have 3 HPE Aruba 5400R ZL2 switches, one at each campus, with multiple paths between each other that use BGP to redistribute connected prefixes etc.

After attempting several configs I've come to the conclusion that these switches simply do not have any support for IPv6 BGP or sending IPv6 prefixes by BGP.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something? It seems a huge oversight.

• 2.  RE: IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 04:28 AM

You're are correct. These switches support IPv4 BGP only. They do support IPv6 but the followinf functions:

IPv6

IPv6 host
    enables switch management in an IPv6 network

Dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6)
    transitions IPv4 to IPv6, supporting connectivity for both protocols

MLD snooping
    forwards IPv6 multicast traffic to the appropriate interface

IPv6 ACL/QoS
    supports ACL and QoS for IPv6 traffic

IPv6 routing
    supports static, RIPng, OSPFv3 routing protocols

6in4 tunneling
    supports encapsulation of IPv6 traffic in IPv4 packets

Security
    provides RA guard, DHCPv6 protection, dynamic IPv6 lockdown, and ND snooping

Hope you find this helpfull.

Regards, dobias

• 3.  RE: IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2

Posted Jul 12, 2017 04:37 AM

Extremely dissapointing for an expensive piece of kit. Not having equal IPv4/IPv6 support in 2017 seems silly.

Static routes will be the solution until we can replace the hardware with something else.

• 4.  RE: IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 12, 2017 04:42 AM

This will be indeed the solution. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide you a better anwser. I'll make sure your feedback is heard by Aruba Product Line Management organization. If there is anything else let's know!!

• 5.  RE: IPv6 BGP on Aruba 5400R ZL2

Posted Aug 19, 2019 07:16 PM

Hello,

Coming here to see if there is any update on BGP IPv6 support on Aruba 5400R switches.

Best Regards

Luis