Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Optimal Fan/Air Direction?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Optimal Fan/Air Direction?

Posted Jun 20, 2020 07:51 PM

It seems the air flow direction changes every generation. It was back to front, then front to back, side to side intake, now side to side exhaust with the 2930?

That's a new one on me. Is the a config for the 2930 to reverse direction and someone is playing a trick on me, or is this the preferred direction in the 2930? That air is being brought in through the opposite vented side, across the boards, and being exhausted through the fans?

Is there a whitepaper on this method being better than just using the fans to intake air, pushing it across the board, and through the opposite side vents like all previous models?

Very curious. 

• 2.  RE: Optimal Fan/Air Direction?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 20, 2020 08:45 PM

Hi! If I'm not mistaken the Aruba 2930F shares the same Hardware of the Aruba 2540...if so, the cooling management should be the same used into the Aruba 2540: Airflow from left (fresh air intake) to right (hot air exhaust), watching the switch chassis frontally. Fans on PoE models (or just a fan in case of non PoE models) are located on the right side.

• 3.  RE: Optimal Fan/Air Direction?

Posted Jun 21, 2020 09:28 AM

Yes, that's correct, as you state - the fans are on the right, with intake occurring on the left, and exhausting through the fans on the right.

I would just be very curious about the technical studies done (and I'm sure this applies to just more than Aruba and network gear in general) about the difference in CFM where air is drawn in vs pushed in.

If I had to guess it would seem like if the fans are removing air from an air tight space, that the displacement made by that would force more air in, compared to a fan trying to push out that same volume.

• 4.  RE: Optimal Fan/Air Direction?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 21, 2020 06:29 PM

That's an interesting discussion: is it better to blow fresh air into a tight chassis (considering that hotter parts can be quite far from fan(s) position and air intake) or to suction warm air from the inside of a chassis (considering that hotter parts can be quite near the fan(s) position and air outlet). Probably the second if the main purpose is lowering inside temperature due to parts that are hotter than other and not centrally positioned (say on the right side where fan(s) are found too).