Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

Posted Sep 05, 2018 03:27 PM

Is anyone aware of a detailed example of VXLAN working on Aruba switches?

I have configured VXLAN between 2 2930M switches and can succesfully tunnel traffic between them if my remote devices plug into the VTEP as access ports.  However, if I try to send multiple VLANs over the VXLAN tunnel on as an 802.11q trunk, nothing works.

Documentation in the advanced traffic management guide is extremely rudimentary and does a bad job of explaining the components.  Does anyone have experience getting VXLAN working?

• 2.  RE: Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2018 04:46 PM

Hi, 

Attached are working configs, with multiple tagged ports on VLANs, over VXLAN between two Aruba switches running ArubaOS-Switch.

I've also attached a configuration guide between and ArubaOS-Switch device and a HPE FlexNetwork device.

Regards, 

Justin

Attachment(s)

txt
    DC-W-A.txt   2 KB 1 version
    txt
    EDGE-A.txt   1 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 08:18 AM
    Sorry for hijacking this thread with out-of-topic question...but not so often it happens to read discussions about VXLAN or EVI with Aruba/HPE devices...so my question:

@Justin: just curious (I've not direct experience about VXLAN or technology like HPE EVI)...what are - in terms of WAN connectivity between DCs - VXLAN or EVI requirements? can it be deployed between existing corporate DCs served by just 1Gbps SDSL connectivity provided by ISP or there is a strict requirement about using "leased lines" or Dark Fibers point-to-point?

• 4.  RE: Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

Posted Sep 06, 2018 10:46 AM

Justin,

I have my tunnel up and I have created the multiple VLANs and VNIs.  Should I be setting up my VTEP ports untagged with the tunnel VLAN or should the endpoint ports be tagged with all of the overlay VLANs?

The configuration guide and configuration examples seem to contradict each other here, or maybe I'm reading them incorrectly.

• 5.  RE: Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 02:30 PM

Hi cbiller, 

You can tag the ports to the VLANs, as I have in the configs I sent.

Justin

• 6.  RE: Semi-Sucessful VXLAN deployment

Posted Sep 12, 2018 11:14 AM

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your help.  I tried creating multiple overlay VLANs, assigning each one to a different VNI, then handing off the port to the customer equipment as a port tagged with all of the overlay VLANs, but it doesn't work.  If I revert back to configuring the customer edge port as untagged with just 1 overlay VLAN, and the customer sends just 1 VLAN untagged to my switch, the VXLAN tunnel works.

Do the overlay VLAN IDs need to match the VLANs the customer is sending me or something?