Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Stacking Priority

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Stacking Priority

Posted Nov 26, 2018 12:35 PM

Hi there,

I have configtered stacking for 3 HPE ARUBA 3810M switches, I manually configured the commmandor with 255 Priority , the second switch is the standby (128 Priority ) and the third one is member(128Priority ). The problem now if I reload the switches, the commandor will be diffrent switch with 128 Priority, and the original commandor will be a member with 255 Priority !!!

Is there away that the commandor switch keeps its status even when I reload the switches?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Stacking Priority

Posted Nov 26, 2018 12:59 PM

what is status of # show stacking 

and can you confirm is stacking module is installed ? did you try determistic option on commander ?

• 3.  RE: Stacking Priority

Posted Nov 26, 2018 01:50 PM

STACK# sh stacking

Stack ID : 00020897-xxxxxxx

MAC Address : 089734-xxxxx
    Stack Topology : Ring
    Stack Status : Active
    Split Policy : One-Fragment-Up
    Uptime : 3d 1h 45m
    Software Version : KB.16.05.0007

Mbr
    ID Mac Address Model Pri Status
    --- ----------------- ------------------------------------- --- ---------------
    *1 089734-xxxxxx Aruba JL072A 3810M-48G-1-slot Switch 255 Commander
    2 089734-xxxxxx Aruba JL072A 3810M-48G-1-slot Switch 128 Standby
    3 089734-xxxxxx Aruba JL072A 3810M-48G-1-slot Switch 128 Member

and Yes, I can confirm that stacking module is installed and I use prioirty command with 255 on the commandor.

The problem is when I reload the switches the stacking members order and the status are mixed up!

• 4.  RE: Stacking Priority

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 11:54 AM

Greetings!

Are you trying to reboot the entire stack, or only the current commander?  The reload command, when issued in a switch stack, triggers a failover of the commander role to the current standby, and only the former commander reboots. Per the intended stacking system behavior, the commander will not take the role back when it finishes booting — this is to prevent excessive unnecessary failover cycles in a stack if the commander unexpectedly reboots, as every time a failover occurs, the ex-commander (and all of its ports) becomes unavailable until it finishes rebooting.

If you're trying to reboot the entire stack at once (which should result in your preferred commander retaining the role when the stack finishes booting), you should use the boot system command instead.