Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Stacking switches

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Stacking switches

Posted May 14, 2019 07:28 AM

Could you please tell me someone a model of aruba switch. I would like to connect stacked 3 switches. Which model is ok?

Maybe aruba 2530 

• 2.  RE: Stacking switches

MVP GURU
    Posted May 14, 2019 07:39 AM
    Stacking (virtual switching) can be deployed only on current Aruba 2930F (VSF), Aruba 2930M (backplane), Aruba 3810M (backplane) and Aruba 5400R zl2 (VSF). Low end Aruba 2530 and 2540 switch series don't support backplane or frontplane (VSF) virtual switching techniques.

• 3.  RE: Stacking switches

Posted May 14, 2019 08:13 AM

So 2530 doesn' t support vsf. Because I see in specs that:

Virtual stacking
    provides single IP address management for up to 16 switches

• 4.  RE: Stacking switches
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted May 14, 2019 08:41 AM

That "stacking" is stacking for management purposes...it's not "virtual switching" it is just using one IP Address to manage up to 16 Switches (and other 15 Switches need to have their IP Addresses too).

Stacking for Management purporses is neither frontplane (VSF) stacking nor Backplane stacking...

• 5.  RE: Stacking switches

Posted May 15, 2019 05:11 AM

what about 1950 series. it says:

Four-high stacking can simplify network administration and add resiliency.

• 6.  RE: Stacking switches

MVP GURU
    Posted May 15, 2019 06:26 AM

Yes, HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch series (which is based on Comware 7 and not on ArubaOS-Switch as cited Aruba Switch series) provides IRF technique which is powerful enough for your desired scenario (Pay attention that 1950 user guide uses the term "Stacking" hiding the fact that - de facto - that implementation is basically the same IRF technique used on low-/mid-/high-end DC class switch series of HPE).

• 7.  RE: Stacking switches

Posted Apr 01, 2021 02:39 AM
    Hello,
    I would like to verify my assumption regarding the below scenario.

In an environment with a 2-switch Mesh (switch A(commander) and B(standby)) of 3810M series switch.
    If Switch A fails, my assumption is that, the stack configuration remains with switch B and  when I replace switch A with switch C,
    the stack doesn't split. That is, Switch B becomes the commander and copies to the configuration files to the new switch C.

Is this right?
    If wrong, please educate me.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    obi jessie

• 8.  RE: Stacking switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 01, 2021 07:54 AM
    Correct.

The assumption is: starting from a well formed Aruba 3810M Stack (a two members stack is equal to a chain topology between the two, I believe that will be incorrect consider a two member stack made by a ring topology) -> let we suppose that Commander Switch 1 fails (it disappears from the Stack) -> the Standby Switch 2 takes over the Commander Role (the Stack splits in two "fragments" , a Fragment "A" where there was the Commander is de-facto void since the Commander went down and there aren't other members, the Fragment "B" instead has the well running Standby which aim to become the new Commander, there aren't other Switches on Fragment "B") -> since you have a MAD mechanism properly setup the Standby on Fragment "B" is able to recognize that the Commander Switch 1 failed and it is not available anymore so the Standby Switch 2 is "authorized" to become the new Commander (for its Fragment "B")...it's not Split Brain since the Fragment "A" has no Brain, actually.

The new switch you're inserting in the Stack as Switch 1 substitute should join the stack following one of the suggested documented method (as per docs): it will join the stack as Standby to not force a new Commander (re)-election to happen...so the Stack will run with the Commander on Switch 2 and the (new) Standby on Switch 1.

Running configuration will be synced back from actual Commander (Switch 2) to the new Standby (Switch 1). I hope to have recalled it correctly.

Davide Poletto