Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Trunk between cisco and data

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Trunk between cisco and data

Posted May 29, 2020 07:23 AM

Hi, 

Infact I'm having a problem two configure a trunk port voice and data on aruba.

Here is my config:

Cisco Switch (Uplink to Aruba switch)

interface GigabitEthernet0/24
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 5,10,20
    switchport mode trunk
    srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
    queue-set 2
    priority-queue out
    mls qos trust cos
    auto qos voip trust

How will I configure the up link (port 24) ? And assume on port 1, I should have 5,10,20.

vlan 5 - voice

vlan 10 - data1

vlan 20 - data2 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted May 29, 2020 09:54 AM

Hi

I'm not quite sure i get what you are trying to accomplish, but if you want to make a trunk port similar to the Cisco you pasted, this should be quite easy to do.

If you are trying to connect the Aruba switch to the Cisco, be aware that Cisco uses a different version of spanning-tree (pvst/pvst+) default and Aruba (hp) is using MST.

Not matching the spanning-tree will cause recalculations and stopping of traffic intermittenly.

If you need to connect the two, yes, you just add the VLAN's to the Aruba and tag them on the port you connect to Cisco

vlan 5
    tagged 24
    exit
    vlan 10
    tagged 24
    exit
    vlan 20
    tagged 24
    exit

After this you can untag a port for use with an endpoint.

Aruba has focus on the vlan, meaning you add ports to the vlan.

On the Cisco side you enter the interface and a VLAN of some sort.

Hope this helps

Roar

• 3.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 02, 2020 01:58 AM

For the uplink it's good.

But suppose if i configure a trunk port on the switch, will voice vlan work if I tagged all vlans ? For e.g

vlan 5

voice

tagged 1,24

vlan 10

tagged 1,24

vlan 20

tagged 1,24

• 4.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 02, 2020 02:13 AM

Hi

Well, if you are going to use port 1 as an edge port, connected directly to a phone, computer or whatever, no not directly.

When you tag, you include information in each packet that this packet belongs to a VLAN (vlan 5) and only vlan 5.

Lets say you plug in a Enterprise phone, Cisco, Alcatel, Avaya or similar, you need to instruc those to tag each packet with vlan 5.

If you do not do this, it will not work.

Roar

• 5.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 02, 2020 02:39 AM

Hi,

Yes port 1 was supposed to be connected to a cisco phone.

So does the above commands will work on it ?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 02, 2020 02:42 AM

Hi

Yes i think it will.

But you need to instruct the phone to tag all it's traffic in the vlan you need.

I'm not that familiar witrh Cisco, but either way the phone needs to tag or the switch will not handle it correct.

Roar

• 7.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 03, 2020 03:36 AM

...and the point is: if the OP want to pass tagged VLANs 5, 10 and 20 on port 1 then the OP must be ensure that the connected peer (whatever the peer is) is VLAN-aware...in other terms, the peer interface needs to understand how to manage ingress/egress tagged traffic on those VLAN IDs.

A Server could easily be configured to have a NIC port with three or more VLANs (so it can accept and send traffic tagged on every and each configured VLAN ID)...is a VoIP Terminal (Cisco phone of whatever) capable of doing so if necessary?

Here we need to make a distinction between link between switches (Generally all managed switch are VLAN-aware) and link to an edge device (VLAN-aware or not VLAN-aware): generally passing more than one VLAN ID (in Cisco terms: interface set into the "trunk mode of operation") means peers involved are VLAN-aware capable.

• 8.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 03, 2020 03:50 AM

Hi

Yeah, basically what i said..

Well, i have been working with Alcatel phones and yes, they are VLAN aware and pretty sure Cisco phones are capable of this as well.

Roar

• 9.  RE: Trunk between cisco and data

Posted Jun 03, 2020 08:10 AM

Yes and me I have been working more with Fanvil phones, however cisco phones too are vlan aware.