Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Using RADIUS for multiple purposes?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Using RADIUS for multiple purposes?

Posted Mar 04, 2020 03:06 AM

Hi, this may be a daft question but I'm looking for confirmation and maybe some example config snippets.

Can I use RADIUS both for login to the CLI/WebGUI (management) and also at the same time use another RADIUS server for 1x port-authentication? All in one switch config.

I would believe it boils down to the commands

aaa authentication login and

aaa authentication port-access, but how can I associate the respective functions to separate RADIUS servers?

The way someone configured it a long time ago in my environment is to use TACACS for one and RADIUS for the other but I'm thinking there is a way to accomplish this using only RADIUS.

• 2.  RE: Using RADIUS for multiple purposes?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 04:07 PM

Hi Borgsquirrel,

sure this is possible. You would create different radius servers within your config like this:

radius-server host 10.104.104.41 key "aruba123"

Do this for all your radius servers. 

Afterward, you should group them together, at least whose wit the same function like this:

aaa server-group radius "CPPM" host 10.104.104.41

you can now use them in your config for all kinds of configurations like dot1x:

aaa authentication port-access eap-radius server-group CPPM

and for cli access like this:

aaa authentication ssh login radius server-group CPPM1

Doing so, you can configure a different radius server group for each access method the switch offers. 

hope this helps. 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: Using RADIUS for multiple purposes?

Posted Mar 06, 2020 07:09 AM

Thanks Florian! That was kind of how I thought it would be, very good! Have a nice weekend!