Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Using VSF, does the standby also route traffic?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Using VSF, does the standby also route traffic?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2018 05:57 PM

I understand the commander is in charge of routing protocols, building IP and MAC tables. But are both allowed to route traffic? The guide says that the standby still forwards traffic. But I can't find an absolute (standby never routes traffic). I assume this is what it means when it says only the commander is in charge of routing protocols. But I didn't know if the commander could give the standby the info it needs for the standby to route traffic itself.

Let me know if you can. Thanks Airheads!!

• 2.  RE: Using VSF, does the standby also route traffic?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2018 07:07 PM

What I understand is Standby do not have its own control plane and receive relavent information from commander. This way both have FIBs in sync.

If a commander receives a packet whose egress port is on standby, the packet will traverse through VSF link nad will exit through egress port on standby switch.

If standby receives a packet with egress port also on standby switch, it will directly route that through its own egress interface (by looking at the FIB it populated through commander).

So the short answer is it Standby does route traffic based on the information is receives from Commander.

• 3.  RE: Using VSF, does the standby also route traffic?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2018 07:24 PM

Thanks Jay :-)

• 4.  RE: Using VSF, does the standby also route traffic?

Posted Jan 22, 2018 08:15 PM

Glad I was able to help :)..