Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF and trunks confusion

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  VSF and trunks confusion

MVP
    Posted May 17, 2020 05:59 PM

After finishing reading the "ArubaOS VSF Configuration Guide" I was left with a minor confusion that I'm hoping to clear up.

It says in the guide that distributed trunking is incompatible with VSF but if I have 2 5400 linked using VSF and I have a trunk using ports on both 5400 isn't that a distributed trunk? Or because VSF changes the 2 switches into "one" switch it's a "normal" trunk?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: VSF and trunks confusion

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 17, 2020 06:06 PM

With a VSF stack you create a single dataplane so you can use a standard LACP link-aggregration between the members.

• 3.  RE: VSF and trunks confusion

MVP
    Posted May 17, 2020 06:09 PM

so just to be clear distributed trunking would not work between the vsf stack and a third switch?

• 4.  RE: VSF and trunks confusion
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted May 17, 2020 06:38 PM
    @Keeper of the Keys wrote: so just to be clear distributed trunking would not work between the vsf stack and a third switch?

Exactly. That's because the entire VSF (made of your two Aruba 5400R zl2 switches) is seen just as a simple single switch from the peers connected to...for the very exact reason it forms a single logical entity (the "single data plane"). A normal port aggregation (usually with LACP) is enough to connect ports on both VSF members with a peer switch (northbound or southbound).

@Keeper of the Keys wrote: It says in the guide that distributed trunking is incompatible with VSF but if I have 2 5400 linked using VSF and I have a trunk using ports on both 5400 isn't that a distributed trunk? Or because VSF changes the 2 switches into "one" switch it's a "normal" trunk?

VSF lets you to avoid Distributed Trunking for the reason explained above...and the port aggregation (Port Trunk) you configure on the VSF (say you aggregate port 1/A1 with port 2/A1 using LACP with the usual trunk 1/A1,2/A1 trk1 lacp CLI command, as example) is exactly the same you will use on the peer switch (as example, trunk 51,52 trk1 lacp)...exactly because the peer switch is going to see one switch entity (the VSF) and not two separated ones as would happen in a distributed trunking scenario. In other terms DT and VSF technology are mutually exclusive (or, better, VSF was engineered to avoid having to deal with DT).

• 5.  RE: VSF and trunks confusion

MVP
    Posted May 18, 2020 02:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies!