Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

Posted Jan 28, 2019 04:56 AM

Hello,

is VXLAN supported by Aruba switches?

I've some 2530 switches around, but I can't find the configuration statements, it seems not supported.

Are there other native ways to move l2 domains over l3 carrier, besides VXLAN? Which is the "first" switch supporting it?

Another info: It there a small/compact switch (say 8 port, installable on the field, say near a factory closet, remote office etc.) supporting l2 over l3 encapsulation technology?

thanks

• 2.  RE: VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 02:18 PM

Greetings!

VXLAN is supported on the 2930F, 2930M, 3810, and 5400R switch series. For configuration instructions, see the VXLAN chapter in the Advanced Traffic Management Guide for each supported switch model.

For a compact VXLAN-capable switch, we have the 2930F 8-port Gigabit Ethernet/2-port SFP+ PoE+ switch that can be either rack-mounted or placed on a shelf.

2930F_8G_PoE_2SFP__JL258A_z-1.png

• 3.  RE: VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

Posted Jan 31, 2019 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info.

is there a "switch selector" page where to select and filter also on this kind of feature (ie give me all the switches supporting this and that feature)? Would be useful.

thanks

• 4.  RE: VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

Posted Jan 31, 2019 11:18 AM

software wise, 2930F, 2930M, are exactly the same in features?

what are the differences in a nutshell (software) between 2930 series and the bigger brother 3810, and 5400R?

thank you much

• 5.  RE: VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2019 01:26 PM

There are a few major differences between the 2930F/2930M and 3810/5400R switch families:

• Where the 2930 switches support static routing, RIP, and single-area OSPF, the 3810 and 5400R support multi-area OSPF and BGP;
    • The 3810 and 5400R support up to 4,094 VLANs; the 2930s support up to 2,048 VLANs;
    • In addition to backplane stacking or VSF, the 3810 and 5400R also support Distributed Trunking, allowing link aggregation across multiple switches while maintaining separate control planes.

Here is a link to the Aruba switch selector page; for feature-level comparisons (including minimum required software version per feature), refer to the ArubaOS-Switch Software Feature Support Matrix

• 6.  RE: VXLAN support on switches or other L2 over L3 tunnelling options

Posted Feb 01, 2019 03:54 AM

Thank you for the useful insights.

Very useful the feature PDF comparison link, it was what I needed, apparently my "google it up" skill are a bit rusty. :)