Wired Intelligent Edge

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ntp and snmp configuration steps

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  ntp and snmp configuration steps

Posted Nov 13, 2018 09:39 AM

Can someone list detailed steps to configure ntp and snmp for 2930?  Is ntp server needs to be internal or external? what is it?

Also why a switch needs ip dn server-address command?

• 2.  RE: ntp and snmp configuration steps

Posted Nov 16, 2018 07:27 AM

Here you go, straight from a 2930F. Timesync first, followed by SNMP V2. You should really think about using V3 - it is secure and V2 is not.

timesync ntp
    ntp unicast
    ntp server 216.239.35.4 iburst
    ntp server 216.239.35.8 iburst
    ntp server 216.239.35.12 iburst
    ntp enable
    time daylight-time-rule user-defined begin-date 10/01 end-date 04/01
    time timezone 600

snmp-server community "public" operator
    snmp-server community "XXXXXX" unrestricted
    snmp-server contact "Richard Litchfield" location "Rhodes Demo"

The timesync is configured for Sydney Australia, which is 10 hours ahead of GMT (+1000, or 600min).  Daylight savings is specified as starting on the first sunday of October (10/01), and ending on the first Sunday of April (04/01).

The NTP servers specified are th Google ones. The ProCurve/AOSS switches only work with IP addresses (not DNS), and it doesn't work with 216.239.35.0.

• 3.  RE: ntp and snmp configuration steps

Posted Nov 16, 2018 08:43 AM

Hi Richard,

Is google servers recommended for ntp or should I use internal server? If internal server how to configure it?

What should be the timezone number for Central time zone, america?

What does operator and unrestricted means for snmp?

• 4.  RE: ntp and snmp configuration steps

Posted Nov 17, 2018 06:44 AM

Hi Nick IT

Unless your environment needs something special with time, just use the freely available extrenal time servers. They are more than adequate for standard IT implementations, and you don't have to worry about maintaining them!

I like the Google ones; there are plenty of others. The most notable are available from pool.ntp.org (eg au.pool.ntp.org).

All devices should be synced to a common time source. Some systems and functions (often including security) need quite accurate sync; but most things will work with minutes or hours of mismatch.

I guess you need Central Time Zone or CST (-0600)

Operator/restricted is read only (SNMP gets)

Manager/unrestricted is read/write (SNMP gets and sets)

• 5.  RE: ntp and snmp configuration steps

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 16, 2018 08:47 AM

Hello Richard,

Hope to not hijack this thread...could you share your best practices in configuring SNMPv3 for Aruba AirWave and HPE IMC on ArubaOS-Switch?

With regards to ArubaOS-Switch NTP settings: is issuing the time daylight-time-rule with a predefined value (as example: western-europe) somewhat correct/sufficient or is it not?

I mean: each country has its daylight savings dates so we need to use them in a customized way? I'm in Italy...and I set simply time daylight-time-rule western-europe and time timezone 60 (UTC+1) but I'm not totally sure I've done things correctly from the Daylight savings point of view.

• 6.  RE: ntp and snmp configuration steps

Posted Nov 17, 2018 06:35 AM

FYI, I posted this article about SNMPv2 and SNMPv3