Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

6 to OS8 upgrade

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2020 02:56 PM

I am a newbie and I am planing on upgrading a 2 controllers from OS 6.x to 8.x on 72xx and some questions. The design is Master/local/ my question are as fellow.

1- if I would like to use clustering what are the specs if I go with VM or X86.

2- if chose to not to use clustering. where should I install the migration tool to perform migration/upgrade.

3 - Are they pros and cons for OS8 upgrade on 7200 controllers without clustering.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2020 03:32 PM

Please read the ArubaOS 8 Fundamentals guide, for many more answers to your questions:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

1.  You would need a VMM sized based on your total number of controllers and APs.  That chart would be in the Virtual Appliance Installation guide here under the section "ArubaOS VM requirements" section https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=36988

2.  Specifics on the Migration Tool are in the "Migration to ArubaOS 8" chapter of the Fundamentals Guide

3.  The features you gain through clustering are detailed in the "Migration to ArubaOS 8" chapter of the Fundamentals guide.

• 3.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2020 07:30 PM

Thanks Joseph.  I read the PDFs files that you provided on the links. whoever, I was looking for the option to go with 8.x on a controllers without MM. As stated before, I have 2 x 7200 (Mater-Local) and would like to upgrade them to OS8 and keep the existing functions/features as they are. 

Any suggestions on how to go with is appreciate it.

• 4.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2020 08:02 PM

I apologize.  You would use the migration tool for that:  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00092475en_us

• 5.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2020 08:19 PM

Thanks Joseph!  

As I am reading a long. I notice that some messages on the board mentioned that I can still upgrade the 72xx controllers to AOS8 if my current architecture is Master/local. The caviate here is that after the upgrade it will become as MCM/Standalone mode and since APs cannot terminate on MCM then I am only using the Standalone and redundancy is gone and if the MCM is gone I need to replace/configure a new master before any changes can be done. 

can you confirm?

Thanks again!

• 6.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2020 08:31 PM

Correct.  You cannot terminate APs on a MCM.

• 7.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 26, 2020 08:54 PM

Now I am convinced that I need to do MM setup. 

what kind of server or device do I need to implement MM and keep the 2 controllers?

any videos or steps that you may know/share that can walk me through the tool install and migration process?

• 8.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2020 02:11 AM

For the migration tool or the MM?  The migration tool system requirements are in the document above:

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 01.10.46.png

• 9.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 27, 2020 09:39 AM

Hey Joseph! thanks for the help. I saw the System Requirements to Install Migration Tool on the PDF. I would like to know the system requirement for MM or MCM setup if you could. 

Thanks!

• 10.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2020 10:51 AM

It depends on the MM size:

Please see more details in the Virtual Appliance Installation Guide here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Default.aspx?EntryId=36988

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 09.49.18.png

• 11.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 27, 2020 12:17 PM

I don't know if this is possible, but would not hurt to ask. .. can you have MM --> MC--> IAP-VPN ? 

• 12.  RE: 6 to OS8 upgrade

Posted Apr 28, 2020 11:08 AM

You should be able to configure the Mobility Controller as a VPNC to terminate IPSec tunnel coming from your IAP-VPN... 

If possible, you could convert the IAP-VPN as a RAP an manage the RAP through your Mobility Controller too. 

I've attached the configuration to enable Mobility Controller to terminal IPSec tunnels of your IAP-VPn. 

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 16.48.05.png