Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

Posted Mar 03, 2020 09:25 AM

I'm trying to upgrade an lc-cluster of mobiliy controllers to a newer version (from 8.3.0.7 to 8.3.0.11), after upgrading the Mobility Master and backup mobility master successfully to this version.

I've done this many times before, using the "Configuration->Tasks -> Upgrade Cluster" method on the MM dashboard and never had problems with it, but this time the upgrade procedure gets stuck. After the new AOS has been loaded into the alternate partion on both controllers, it starts with reloading one of the controllers in the cluster.

The controller rebooted fine, and runs the new firmware, but the MM still thinks the controller is not up again.

By issuing the command on the  MM:

show lc-cluster <name> upgrade status verbose

the output still indicates status "Reboot In Progress" for the  first controller even though the controller is already up and running for several hours. I manually rebooted this controller a second time, to no avail. The other controller in the cluster has status "Image Copy Success" and is still servicing all the APs.

The upgrade progress won't continue in this state where the first controller isn't recognised being up and running after the reboot...

So, How can I get this to finish ?

TIA Eddy

• 2.  RE: AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:13 AM

Can you reach the controller via ssh from the MM?

• 3.  RE: AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:20 AM

hi Dustin,

yeah controller is up and running, and can be reached (ssh / ping) from MM (just tried it to be sure).

• 4.  RE: AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:24 AM

Do you see anything being blocked when you do a "show datapath session" for the controller or the mm (depending on what device your on running the command)

• 5.  RE: AOS 8.3.x Controller Cluster upgrade stalls with status "Reboot In Progress" on first controller

Posted Mar 03, 2020 10:31 AM

There is nothing in between the MM and the WLC's, management interfaces are all in the same VLAN and have been so since deployment of the cluster, many versions ago. Nothing has changed in that respect.