Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-303 to Controller

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  AP-303 to Controller

Posted Jan 13, 2019 08:59 PM

Hi

We have our environment configured with a DNS recorded configured for aruba-master pointing to our Controller.

If the AP-303 is connected to the same subnet as the controller, it does come up as a CAP.

However if the AP-303 is connected to a different subnet (that has a route to the controller) the AP doesn’t attempt to the connect to the controller, nor does it look up aruba-master from the DNS server.

The AP boots, and looks up pool.ntp.org and devices.arubanetworks.com; then tries to connect to both.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2019 09:13 PM

Have you had any other access points successfully find the controller via DNS?

• 3.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

Posted Jan 14, 2019 03:39 AM

Hi

@cjoseph wrote:

Have you had any other access points successfully find the controller via DNS?

All our other APs have been IAP-315 - that we need to convert to CAP - so no.

Our DNS is configured to provide the IP for the VRRP interface for the pair of controllers that we have.  This is the IP address we enter in to the IAP to convert it to a CAP.

I have done further testing - and if we take a new AP-303 out of the box, connect to it a network that has DHCP, that provides DNS as part of its response, the AP does NOT attempt to lookup aruba-master.  The only two DNS resolutions it requests from the DNS server are pool.ntp.org and devices.arubanetworks.com - which therefore I'm confused as to how this would ever work when using DNS.

• 4.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:05 AM

Do you have a console cable for the AP-303?  If yes, you might be able to see the lookup sequence.

Theoretically it should only look for devices.arubanetworks.com (the cloud) if it fails dns lookup.

• 5.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

Posted Jan 14, 2019 02:12 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

Do you have a console cable for the AP-303?  If yes, you might be able to see the lookup sequence.

Unfortunately, I don’t.  

@cjoseph wrote:

Theoretically it should only look for devices.arubanetworks.com (the cloud) if it fails dns lookup.

That what I thought/read would happen.  However in my case it doesnt even try.

• 6.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

Posted May 19, 2020 08:41 PM

good afternoon, I have 24 AP 303 and I would like to have them controlled with a master, but these APs are in different network segments, could they be integrated between them?

• 7.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

Posted May 19, 2020 09:16 PM

As long as the master controller is reachable by the Access Points , the APs should be be able to come up successfully. 

How are the APs discovering their master? 

What is the controller image version and model?

• 8.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

Posted Jul 14, 2020 01:07 PM

Good Afternoon,

Answer your quiestons.

How are the APs discovering their master? 

In this moment we are not implemented in any AP, We want to do that, but we want to know if one of 24 APs will do of master independet of IP segment.

The APs is in 24 differents segments but can view a unique segment.

What is the controller image version and model?

8.3.0.0_64659 -  AP303 

• 9.  RE: AP-303 to Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2019 03:29 AM

Could it be that the controller-ip, LMS settings or the IP that you published as aruba-master in your DNS are pointing to another IP than the IP that is assigned to the controller in the directly connected subnet where you place the APs?

By default, the AP will try these discovery methods. If your APs are L2 adjacent to (same subnet as) the controller, the APs should use the IP address in that subnet. If it finds another master/controller IP, it will go out via its default gateway, which if that isn't the controller will cause asymmetric routing and is likely to fail.