Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

AP-303 to Controller

Hi

We have our environment configured with a DNS recorded configured for aruba-master pointing to our Controller.

If the AP-303 is connected to the same subnet as the controller, it does come up as a CAP.

However if the AP-303 is connected to a different subnet (that has a route to the controller) the AP doesn’t attempt to the connect to the controller, nor does it look up aruba-master from the DNS server.

The AP boots, and looks up pool.ntp.org and devices.arubanetworks.com; then tries to connect to both.

Cheers

Guru Elite

Re: AP-303 to Controller

Have you had any other access points successfully find the controller via DNS?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
MVP Guru

Could it be that the controller-ip, LMS settings or the IP that you published as aruba-master in your DNS are pointing to another IP than the IP that is assigned to the controller in the directly connected subnet where you place the APs?

By default, the AP will try these discovery methods. If your APs are L2 adjacent to (same subnet as) the controller, the APs should use the IP address in that subnet. If it finds another master/controller IP, it will go out via its default gateway, which if that isn't the controller will cause asymmetric routing and is likely to fail.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Occasional Contributor I

Hi

@cjoseph wrote:

Have you had any other access points successfully find the controller via DNS?

All our other APs have been IAP-315 - that we need to convert to CAP - so no.

Our DNS is configured to provide the IP for the VRRP interface for the pair of controllers that we have.  This is the IP address we enter in to the IAP to convert it to a CAP.

I have done further testing - and if we take a new AP-303 out of the box, connect to it a network that has DHCP, that provides DNS as part of its response, the AP does NOT attempt to lookup aruba-master.  The only two DNS resolutions it requests from the DNS server are pool.ntp.org and devices.arubanetworks.com - which therefore I'm confused as to how this would ever work when using DNS.

Guru Elite

Do you have a console cable for the AP-303?  If yes, you might be able to see the lookup sequence.

Theoretically it should only look for devices.arubanetworks.com (the cloud) if it fails dns lookup.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Occasional Contributor I

@cjoseph wrote:

Do you have a console cable for the AP-303?  If yes, you might be able to see the lookup sequence.

Unfortunately, I don’t.  

@cjoseph wrote:

Theoretically it should only look for devices.arubanetworks.com (the cloud) if it fails dns lookup.

That what I thought/read would happen.  However in my case it doesnt even try.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: