Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP 345 Dual Port

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  AP 345 Dual Port

Posted Oct 30, 2018 01:06 AM

Hello All,

I searched it in the user guide and here but couldn't find somthing that addresses the solution. Is there a document that describes how to use the both ethernet port on Ap-345.

One of our customer is looking for AP 345 dual POE+ for redundancy however not expecting the traffic to go beyond 1Gbps hence we would like to use both the links in active and stanby fashion. The 345 datasheet mention that AP support hitless POE failvoer between both Ethernet ports but I cannot find if both ports needs to be configured in LACP or can we connect both the ports to different swichtes as an access port. 

There will be around 300+ AP so we want to try and avoid configuring LACP on switches for each access point. 

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: AP 345 Dual Port

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 09:59 AM

@tarunagghi wrote:

Hello All,

I searched it in the user guide and here but couldn't find somthing that addresses the solution. Is there a document that describes how to use the both ethernet port on Ap-345.

One of our customer is looking for AP 345 dual POE+ for redundancy however not expecting the traffic to go beyond 1Gbps hence we would like to use both the links in active and stanby fashion. The 345 datasheet mention that AP support hitless POE failvoer between both Ethernet ports but I cannot find if both ports needs to be configured in LACP or can we connect both the ports to different swichtes as an access port. 

There will be around 300+ AP so we want to try and avoid configuring LACP on switches for each access point. 

Thanks,

For hitless survival, the ports should be configured as LACP so that the AP's IP address does not change during a failure event. If the AP's IP changes, tunnels will have to be re-established which defeats the purpose of the standby tunnels already built (assuming controller clustering is in use).

• 3.  RE: AP 345 Dual Port

Posted Apr 10, 2019 01:41 PM

Hi,

I recently deployed the new AP 345s with dual ports and experienced an L2 loop, so we had to shut down Ethernet 1 to get the APs to work temporarily, while we're investigating this issue. We have 56 AP 335s with dual port deployed for several months and have experienced no such issue. The loop was seen before and after the AP 345s were provisioned.

The AP 335s have no LACP configured, and neither are AP 345s.

Questions:

1. Is there a different default behavior on the AP 345 vs. AP 335?

2. My understanding is hitless failover should work without LACP, but Charlie's response below confused me. Can you please confirm that LACP IS REQUIRED for hitless failover on both 335 and 345, or it's only required on the AP 345?

3. Any best practice documents for AP configuration with dual port on AP 335/345?

Thanks in advance!

• 4.  RE: AP 345 Dual Port

Posted Apr 10, 2019 09:34 PM

Edit: I re-enabled eth0 and the AP went offline. It didn't power off but it stopped responding. So I'm not sure how it works now. What Clemmer was describing might be why. I'll have to test it more in a bit and I'll update my response.

I have 335s so I can tell you how those work. Enabling both port profiles can cause a loop, especially if you have wired AP enabled. I did that globally once by accident and it caused all kinds of havoc. If you wanted both enabled, I would either turn on spanning tree or use LACP.

Having said that you do not need LACP to use the hitless PoE. Only Eth0 needs to be enabled on the AP. I just tested it on one of my APs and it switched over to the other port without any issue. I am a little confused about the port status output though.

Here's the output before and after shutting one of the ports:

BEFORE PORT SHUT
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************

(mcevsaruba-test) [MDC] *#show ap port status ap-name apisb01-05-02s09w

AP "apisb01-05-02s09w" Port Status (updated every 60 seconds)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Port  MAC                Type  Forward Mode  Admin     Oper  Speed   Duplex  802.3az   802.3bz  PoE  STP  Portfast  TX-Packets  TX-Bytes    RX-Packets  RX-Bytes
    ----  ---                ----  ------------  -----     ----  -----   ------  -------   -------  ---  ---  --------  ----------  --------    ----------  --------
    0     xx:xx:xx:xx:45:9c  5G    N/A           enabled   up    1 Gb/s  full    N/A       No       N/A  N/A  N/A       5944626     1421643875  4422496     574720250
    1     xx:xx:xx:xx:45:9d  GE    none          disabled  up    1 Gb/s  full    disabled  N/A      N/A  N/A  N/A       15          4635        354         41001

AP LLDP Neighbors (Updated every 60 seconds)
    --------------------------------------------
    AP                 Interface  Neighbor  Chassis Name/ID  Port ID  Port Desc                        Mgmt. Address  Capabilities
    --                 ---------  --------  ---------------  -------  ---------                        -------------  ------------
    apisb01-05-02s09w  eth0       0         xx  		 Gi7/35   GigabitEthernet7/35              xx.xx.xx.xx  BR
    apisb01-05-02s09w  eth1       0         xx  		 Gi2/27     				   xx.xx.xx.xx  BR

Power Inline Output - both ports powered
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gi2/27    auto   on         31.6       30.0       Ieee PD             4    
    Gi7/35    auto   on         31.6       30.0       Ieee PD             4    

Switch MAC address table
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    swisb5w#show mac address-table | include .459c
     151      xxxx.xxxx.459c   dynamic ip,ipx,assigned,other GigabitEthernet7/35      

********************************************************************************************************************************************

AFTER PORT SHUT

AP "apisb01-05-02s09w" Port Status (updated every 60 seconds)
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Port  MAC                Type  Forward Mode  Admin     Oper  Speed   Duplex  802.3az   802.3bz  PoE  STP  Portfast  TX-Packets  TX-Bytes    RX-Packets  RX-Bytes
    ----  ---                ----  ------------  -----     ----  -----   ------  -------   -------  ---  ---  --------  ----------  --------    ----------  --------
    0     xx:xx:xx:xx:45:9c  5G    N/A           enabled   down  N/A     N/A     N/A       N/A      N/A  N/A  N/A       5945496     1421869648  4423094     574792559
    1     xx:xx:xx:xx:45:9d  GE    none          disabled  up    1 Gb/s  full    disabled  N/A      N/A  N/A  N/A       543         124961      1022        119443

(mcevsaruba-test) [MDC] *#show ap lldp neighbors ap-name apisb01-05-02s09w

AP LLDP Neighbors (Updated every 60 seconds)
    --------------------------------------------
    AP                 Interface  Neighbor  Chassis Name/ID  Port ID  Port Desc                        Mgmt. Address  Capabilities
    --                 ---------  --------  ---------------  -------  ---------                        -------------  ------------
    apisb01-05-02s09w  eth1       0         xx		 Gi2/27   xx				   10.40.151.254  BR

swisb5w#show mac address-table | include .459 
     151      a8bd.27c6.459c   dynamic ip,ipx,assigned,other GigabitEthernet2/27

You will see after I shut port 0 its oper status is "down" and port 1 is "up". Where I'm confused is it still shows admin status as "disabled". That makes sense with how the eth profiles are configured but it doesn't make sense on how the AP is functioning. There may be a better way to look at this so I'm curious to see what others say.

Edit: I re-enabled eth0 and the AP went offline. So I'm not sure how it works now. I'll have to test it more in a bit.