Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-515 or AP-514 with external Antenna for warehouse

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  AP-515 or AP-514 with external Antenna for warehouse

Posted Jun 28, 2019 03:52 AM

Hello,

i have a question regarding the AP-515/514.

We have a historical WLAN-installation in a warehouse with AP-92 on a old controller with external antennas (see picture "ap"; i do not know the dbi).

In my opinion there are also too much APs installed (see picture "plan").

Now we want to upgrade to AP515/514 in this warehouse. My idea was to take the AP515 with internal antennas, but i do not know in which hight (maximum) i can mount them to get enought signal at the ground.

Or should i take the AP-514 with AP-ANT-40?

We have some handheld scanners and some scanners on forklifter in this area.

regards

Markus

• 2.  RE: AP-515 or AP-514 with external Antenna for warehouse

Posted Jun 28, 2019 06:24 AM

IMHO the current ap placement is really the way you should avoid it at all. I would place the aps only shifted in mutliples lines of corridors between shelves to limit interferences. And before you replace old APs with new ones: please double check the compatibility of your handheld devices / scanners and their roaming bevaior with the new aps by doing a proper POC.

• 3.  RE: AP-515 or AP-514 with external Antenna for warehouse

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2019 08:59 AM

Let's start with the question. What is the mounting height right now? With the AP-92 and current antennas, have you had or are you having any coverage issues today? What is that antenna being used now?

As an FYI, we generally recommend using the AP-36x family of APs for warehouses (prevents the need for those boxes you are currently using.