Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Packet loss on the LAN connection

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP Packet loss on the LAN connection

Posted Oct 22, 2015 03:53 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.

My NMS pings each device on my network every 30 seconds to make sure it is up. I have certain APs that will hover between 8-12% short term packet loss on these pings. That's the counter that determines how many pings were lost out of every 100. Since it's every 30 seconds it's about a 50 minute time period. I could have two APs connected to the same switch, with the same exact configuration (other than IP and name) and one gets the packet loss while the other does not.

If I constantly ping one of those APs from my computer I get almost no packet loss. Probably 5 lost pings out of 2000, or therabouts. On top of that - while I'm pinging, the short term packet loss reported from my NMS slowly creeps down to 0. As soon as I stop the constant ping it creeps back up again.

I have tested this on more than one AP and from more than one computer.

As a further test, I reduced the polling interval on one AP from 30 seconds down to 10 seconds. This also helped reduce the amount of packet loss that my NMS was seeing.

Anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or should I just ignore it?

• 2.  RE: AP Packet loss on the LAN connection

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 03:54 PM

Put your NMS on the same subnet as the AP to eliminate any issues with your routed network.