Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

Posted Mar 26, 2019 02:14 AM

Hi - 

I've created a new group and VC

The VC was moved into the group and it appears to be working as expected.

Now I've moved some other APs into this group - but the controller doesn't change. How do I force these APs to start using the new controller?

• 2.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2019 02:51 AM

You have to be careful when moving APs that were part of a cluster before to a new cluster.  If the cluster-key does not change, Airwave thinks it is the same cluster:

Please see if this helps:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/Migrate-Instant-Config-to-new-cluster-without-Airwave-Conflict/td-p/224888

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-to-change-the-VC-key-on-IAP-which-is-used-for-IAP-to-Airwave/ta-p/292333

• 3.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.

My new VC has a unique Virtual-Controller-Key - but the other IAPs in it's group are still showing the VCK from their "old" Group/VC.

How do I force the APs to get the new VCK?

• 4.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 12:07 AM

When we login to that particular VC are all these IAPs showing under that VC?

Airwave will show the IAPs under a particular VC only if its in a cluster, from Airwave side there is no way we can force an IAP from one cluster to another.

• 5.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

Posted Mar 27, 2019 12:16 AM

Thanks Vishnu -

So if I want to add another VC - does it have to be on a separate subnet? Is that correct?

I my be XY'ing the problem here.

What we have is 1 VC and 90 APs - we are having trouble with a particular building, we want to try dropping the minimum data rate for those APs in the problem building.

Our idea is to add another VC - add it to a new group with an adjusted data rate setting, and add the APs to that group.

Is it possible to achieve this without adding another VC? Or is that the right way to carry out that sort of change?

• 6.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2019 12:27 AM

Groups on Airwave comes to picture only post the cluster is made. Moving an IAP from one group to another will not make any change to cluster on the physical side.

For example lets say you have added a new VC-A to group A on Airwave which currently dont have any IAPs under it. You already have VC-B with 50 IAPs in group B on Airwave.

In this case if we move 25 IAPs which are under VC-B(groupB) to Group A where we have VC-A, this is not going to change the cluster for these IAPs. It will still be seeing VC-B as there master.
    If we need to divide the IAPs and form 2 cluster that needs to be done directly from IAP side, post that you can create 2 groups on AIrwave and add the VC to both group. So IAPs under VC-A will be in one group and VC-B will be in the second group on Airwave.

Post this you can manage the separate cluster from Airwave.

Note: Groups on AIrwave doesnt play any role in changing or creating new cliuster. New cluster needs to be created on IAP side itself prior to adding device on Airwave.

If you are still confused i would suggest opening a TAC case they can help you explain the same over a call or session.

• 7.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

Posted Mar 27, 2019 05:26 PM

Thank you very much Vishnu - that clears up some key points for me!

I may have to open a TAC case as you suggest, I'm still not clear on how to get an AP to join a different cluster. 

• 8.  RE: AP doesn't automatically change to new Controller/VC?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2019 02:56 AM

Are the APs still associated to old VC or still in old cluster? When you login to the new VC itself do you see these APs under it?

As colin mentioned if you are creating a new cluster you might want remove the old entries and get it discovered again as Airwave would still hold the old Virtual key.