Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP mesh point not connecting to controller

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  AP mesh point not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 13, 2018 02:37 AM

Hi,

I have to set up a mesh network with a controller (Aruba 3200 US; software version 6.4.3.6) and some AP 175s and AP 105s, to broadcast a WLAN. One of the 175s is working as the portal and the rest of the aps should be deployed as mesh points. The portal works fine and is broadcasting the WLAN (It was up during all my testing and was only rebooted, so the SSID was broadcasted at all times). But when I try to set up the mesh points the trouble start. I factory_reset the aps and connect them via a switch to the controller. This works fine, they get their image and show up on the controller. If I provision them directly as mesh points and let them reboot, they seem to start up ok, but do not show up on the controller and at the end have the following error:

<<<<<       Welcome to the Access Point     >>>>>

~ # asap_vap_gone: Got vap gone notification on unknown vap:0:0

asap_vap_gone: Got vap gone notification on unknown vap:0:1

So I factory_reset them again and after they show up on the controller, ready to be provisioned, I provision them as mesh portals. This works fine. They still show an error on the console:

asap_user_set_acl: 00:24:6c:cd:8e:96 no name for id 0

~ # asap_vap_gone: Got vap gone notification on unknown vap:0:0

But they are visible on the controller and broadcast the SSID.

If I now provision one of these "falsely" provisioned mesh portals to be a mesh point, they again start up ok, but this time they have the following error:

~ # asap_vap_gone Got vap gone notification on unknown vap00

asap_vap_gone Got vap gone notification on unknown vap01

sapd config ERR or radar found setting wifi0 wrong channel 144 or country 840, vap mode 7

we find tmp channel 36 flags 0x10100

sapd config ERR or radar found setting wifi0 wrong channel 34 or country 840, vap mode 7

sapd config ERR or radar found setting wifi0 wrong channel 38 or country 840, vap mode 7

sapd config ERR or radar found setting wifi0 wrong channel 42 or country 840, vap mode 7

sapd config ERR or radar found setting wifi0 wrong channel 46 or country 840, vap mode 7

So far I was unable to find any solution to these errors and to the question, why the aps, as mesh points, do not show up on the controller anymore.

All aps are provisioned in the same ap group on the same vlan, recieve their IP via DHCP (which works fine) and detect the controller via "Master controller IP address". I use the "default" "ap installation mode" and single chain mode is off for both radios. The SNMP System Location is left blank.

I hope that one of you has an idea what the problem might be.

Thank you in advance.

Jan

Edit: All used hardware has the us-country code. So the country code should not be the problem.

• 2.  RE: AP mesh point not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 06:19 AM

Please type:

show ap mesh neighbors ap-name <name of mesh portal>

..to see if you can get some information.  Next, you should see if the APs support the same channels.  Type below for the portal and then the point:

show ap allowed-channels country-code US ap-type ap-175p
    show ap allowed-channels country-code US ap-type ap-105

That will tell you if they support the same channels.

Lastly, type:

show ap mesh tech-support ap-name <name of mesh portal>

...to see if you can get any clues.

The 

• 3.  RE: AP mesh point not connecting to controller

Posted Dec 13, 2018 08:45 AM

Hi,

first of all thanks for the fast reply.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but I always wait until it says:

and then I type the commands you wrote me. It always just tells me "permission denied"

But I had an idea thanks to your advice with the commands:
    I used one of the ap105 that I directly provisioned to be a mesh point (the once that do not give out the channel error) and tried to ping the controller form the cli. Not only was it able to ping to controller, as soon as it started pinging it also became visible on the controller. The downside: it does not stop pinging. It just goes on and on without end.

But still I was able to check what radio and channel it is using.

AP 105 Mesh Point:
    Radio 80211a-HT-20   
    Channel 153-

AP 175 the one that should stay a mesh portal:
    Radio 80211a-HT-40
    Channel 157+

AP 175 one that I have as a mesh portal for testing but that should be a mesh point
    Radio 80211a-HT-40
    Channel 153-

I am not to sure what to make of this information. Is it a problem, that the AP105 has HT-20 instead of HT-40?
    How can I change the channel on the AP 175 with channel 157+?

Is there a way to stop an ap from pinging without end?

How can I bypass the permission denied message?

Thanks so much for your help

Jan

• 4.  RE: AP mesh point not connecting to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 13, 2018 08:58 AM

You need to run those commands on the controller commandline, NOT the console of the AP.