Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

Posted Jun 20, 2017 11:12 AM

Hello, 

we plan to use both LAN interfaces of the AP325 without bundling them to a portchannel.

The idea is to have two indepentend switches (not stacked) and connect LAN1 of the AP to SwitchA and LAN2 to SwitchB. We dont need more than 1Gbit/s throughput and only want higher reliability. 

Only one port should be active and in case this port fails the AP should reboot and receive PoE and connectivity from the other switch. The AP should use the same MAC address on both ports to not cause problems with DHCP and dot1x. 

Is that configuration possible or can the two ports only be used with LACP?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 20, 2017 10:25 PM

By default, the switch will operate without configuration just like you want it to.  When power to the first port goes away, ap will reboot and the second port will sense power and boot up.

• 3.  RE: AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

Posted Jun 21, 2017 07:14 AM

I've tried default configuration and different other configuration options, but I always create loops, have MAC flapping or the IAP is not receiving DHCP address on Port2. 

The first and second port seem to be always active at the same time, and therefore they cause the above mentioned problems.

Do I have to create a wired profile? And if yes, which configuration is required? I've tried with Uplink enabled without success. 

aruba_redundancy.png

• 4.  RE: AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 07:18 AM

I apologize.  I didn't know you had instant APs.

You would have to do something like this instead:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Instant-Dual-Uplink/ta-p/180474

Please note it is not exactly what you asked for.

• 5.  RE: AP325 LAN redundancy without portchannel (LACP)

Posted Jun 21, 2017 08:32 AM

Hello Colin,

thank your for your fast replies. 

I've already tried a similar configuration as described in the "Instant Dual Uplink" article. But this seems to only work for the IAP which is acting as virtual controller. The IAPs which are connected to the virtual controller still cause problems.