Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP325 with LACP

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  AP325 with LACP

Posted Jan 20, 2020 02:46 PM

I confuse about AP-325 connection to Controller with LACP Stripping

- We must config GRE Stripping for LACP ?

- What is objective of GRE Stripping , Fail over only?

- If not have GRE Stripping configuration , We have BW more than 1 GB? 

• 2.  RE: AP325 with LACP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 20, 2020 03:26 PM

@Samun wrote:

I confuse about AP-325 connection to Controller with LACP Stripping

- We must config GRE Stripping for LACP ? NO

- What is objective of GRE Stripping , Fail over only? "Increased throughput only".  It is supposed to send all the 2.4ghz traffic to a single ip address on the controller and the 5ghz traffic to another ip address on the controller.  This is separate from LACP.  In reality, clients will not request or obtain that throughput due to contention in the environment.

- If not have GRE Stripping configuration , We have BW more than 1 GB? No, because contention in the client environment and the half duplex nature of wireless prevents it, even with LACP enabled.

My opinion#1:

GRE striping seems like a good idea, but you must maintain a second ip address for each controller .   That is to send 2.4ghz traffic to one ip address and 5ghz traffic to another ip address from the access point.  In reality, contention in the client environment and the half duplex nature of wireless prevents you from sustaining traffic throughput on the wire exceeding a single gigabit.

My opinion#2:

LACP allows you to connect a second port on the AP to a switch, where it will bond into a two gigabit LACP bundle either for increased throughput or redundancy or both.  Again, in reality, contention in the client environment, the half duplex nature of wireless and the bursty nature of traffic makes it rare to obtain throughput that would exceed a single gigabit connection.  Due to the rarity of this event, it is typically not worth assigning a second ip address for striping, or consuming a second port on a switch for LACP for that remote possibility.

You would get the most "bang for the buck" with LACP to provide redundancy for a single AP to a switch. 

• 3.  RE: AP325 with LACP

Posted Feb 20, 2020 04:45 AM

Thanks sir. 

You have reference document about LACP If we not have GRE Stripping configuration on controller?

We must make sure if we not have LACP Stripping configuration AP is running of full LACP. 

What is command for checking  LACP for APs.