Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT with active-active local controllers

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT with active-active local controllers

Posted Dec 18, 2015 07:14 AM

Hi community

At several sites we have an active-active setup with two local controllers.

When clients roam from an AP, terminated on one local controller to an AP, terminated on the other local controller there are the following messages on the switch:

ARP/5/ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT: Detected an IP address conflict. The device with MAC address e8b1-fc4c-1111 connected to Bridge-Aggregation1 in VLAN 301 and the device with MAC address e8b1-fc4c-1111 connected to Bridge-Aggregation2 in VLAN 301 are using the same IP address 10.49.89.21.

Could there be a way to prevent this, ie force an ARP update from the AP after roaming?

Thx

• 2.  RE: ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT with active-active local controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2015 10:44 AM

Hi,

We cannot do anything on Aruba to prevent the error from showing up on the Switch. You need to figure out why the Switch is not updating the ARP entry.

Thanks,
    Rajaguru Vincent

• 3.  RE: ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT with active-active local controllers

Posted Dec 30, 2015 08:18 AM

Hi Raj

Thx for the reply.

I am still figuring out why the hp switches see this as a duplicate IP in stead of simply updating the ARP table. I'll reply here as soon as I know.

• 4.  RE: ARP_DUPLICATE_IPADDR_DETECT with active-active local controllers

Posted Jan 17, 2016 10:55 AM

As promised...in our case the duplicate IP messages were due to a software bug in the switch. After a firmware upgrade the messages were gone.