Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 27, 2018 04:36 PM

Hi guys,

Actually I have a network of Instant APs where the clients authenticate against a RADIUS server with username and password (PEAP) in order to connect to the corporate SSID. Because the RADIUS server doesn't have a certificate I have enabled EAP offload, so the IAP acts as the authentication server and is which sends the certificate to clients. Because clients don't have that certificate in their certificate list, they get a untrusted server warning and have to accept before connecting to the network. I am begginer with certificates so I have two doubts:

1. When EAP offload is enabled, which certificate is sent to clients, the AP's certificate where the client is connected to or the master AP's certificate?
    2. Is possible to import the Instant AP certificate into the client to avoid getting the warning of untrusted server?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2018 06:09 PM
    • You should not use legacy EAP methods like PEAP
    • You should not be terminating EAP on the NAD. Use a RADIUS server.

• 3.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 27, 2018 06:15 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I know that EAP-TLS is more secure than PEAP and that enabling EAP offload is not a good practice, and is better to use the RADIUS server certificate. But my doubts are not related to best practices but how the certificates are treated in Instant when EAP offload is enabled.

1. When EAP offload is enabled, which certificate is sent to clients, the AP's certificate where the client is connected to or the master AP's certificate?
    2. Is possible to import the Instant AP certificate into the client to avoid getting the warning of untrusted server?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 05:24 AM

As said, you should not do it. But to answer your questions for educational purposes:

When EAP offload is enabled, which certificate is sent to clients, the AP's certificate where the client is connected to or the master AP's certificate?

With eap termination or eap offload, the AP will terminate the PEAP outer tunnel with its (eap) certificate. The MSCHAPv2 will be forwarded to the RADIUS server. Again, you should not be using PEAP-MSCHAPv2 in production, so the answer is for educational purposes only.

Is possible to import the Instant AP certificate into the client to avoid getting the warning of untrusted server?

You can, similar to when the certificate is not on the AP, (pre)configure your client with the CA that issued the AP/RADIUS-server certificate and the proper certificate validation. Never let users self-configure this, as if they don't put each tickbox right you will get an insecure situation.

• 5.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 28, 2018 05:49 PM

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your interest. About the second point:

You can, similar to when the certificate is not on the AP, (pre)configure your client with the CA that issued the AP/RADIUS-server certificate and the proper certificate validation.

What CA should my client trust? I don't know what is the certificate the AP uses for EAP, it has many (Default Server Certificate, Current CP Server Certificate and Device Certificate), look at this:

P4-W04# show cert all

Default Server Certificate:
    Version :3
    Serial Number :01:DA:52
    Issuer :/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./OU=Domain Validated SSL/CN=GeoTrust DV SSL CA
    Subject :/serialNumber=lLUge2fRPkWcJe7boLSVdsKOFK8wv3MF/C=US/O=securelogin.arubanetworks.com/OU=GT28470348/OU=See www.geotrust.com/resources/cps (c)11/OU=Domain Control Validated - QuickSSL(R) Premium/CN=securelogin.arubanetworks.com
    Issued On :May 11 01:22:10 2011 GMT
    Expires On :Aug 11 04:40:59 2017 GMT
    Signed Using :SHA1-RSA
    RSA Key size :2048 bits

Serial Number :02:36:D2
    Issuer :/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
    Subject :/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./OU=Domain Validated SSL/CN=GeoTrust DV SSL CA
    Issued On :Feb 26 21:32:31 2010 GMT
    Expires On :Feb 25 21:32:31 2020 GMT

Serial Number :02:34:56
    Issuer :/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
    Subject :/C=US/O=GeoTrust Inc./CN=GeoTrust Global CA
    Issued On :May 21 04:00:00 2002 GMT
    Expires On :May 21 04:00:00 2022 GMT

Current CP Server Certificate:
    Serial Number :0D:18:23:89:16:76:A4:13:92:D9:3E:EA:03:DE:DD:18
    Issuer :/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/CN=DigiCert Global CA G2
    Subject :/C=US/ST=California/L=Palo Alto/O=Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company/OU=Aruba Networks/CN=securelogin.hpe.com
    Issued On :Feb 12 00:00:00 2018 GMT
    Expires On :Feb 13 12:00:00 2019 GMT
    Signed Using :SHA256-RSA

Serial Number :03:3A:F1:E6:A7:11:A9:A0:BB:28:64:B1:1D:09:FA:E5
    Issuer :/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert Global Root G2
    Subject :/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert Global Root G2
    Issued On :Aug 1 12:00:00 2013 GMT
    Expires On :Jan 15 12:00:00 2038 GMT

Serial Number :0C:8E:E0:C9:0D:6A:89:15:88:04:06:1E:E2:41:F9:AF
    Issuer :/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert Global Root G2
    Subject :/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/CN=DigiCert Global CA G2
    Issued On :Aug 1 12:00:00 2013 GMT
    Expires On :Aug 1 12:00:00 2028 GMT

Device Certificate:
    Serial Number :21:8F:5B:7C:00:00:00:03:8B:74
    Issuer :/UID=com/UID=arubanetworks/UID=devicesign/CN=Aruba Networks Trusted Computing Issuing CA 2
    Subject :/CN=CNDQHN725W::20:a6:cd:cb:5c:de
    Issued On :Aug 18 12:43:59 2017 GMT
    Expires On :Sep 14 03:21:14 2032 GMT

P4-W04#

The issuers are GeoTrust, DigiCert and Aruba Networks. Which one?

Regards,

Julián

• 6.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 06:00 PM
    The signing CA of your EAP server certificate.

• 7.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 28, 2018 06:23 PM

Hi Tim,

But in the case the AP sends the certificate to clients, which certificate will it use? You can see in the previous output the AP has three certificates: Default Server Certificate, Current CP Server Certificate and Device Certificate. Which one?

Regards,

Julián

• 8.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2018 09:51 AM

You need to upload an EAP server certificate. You cannot use hte defaults.

• 9.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:08 AM
    But in Instant if you enable EAP offload, the AP sends one of its default certificates to the clients and works fine, but I don't which one. You don't need to upload an EAP certificate for this to work.

Regards,
    Julián

• 10.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:11 AM
    You cannot use the default certificates. You need to acquire an EAP server certificate.

• 11.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:13 AM
    And why it works if I just enable EAP offload?

Regards,
    Julián

• 12.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:26 AM
    Works != properly configured and secure

• 13.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:30 AM
    I agree, but I am not asking about best practices in this post as I said at the beginning. Just I want to know the process for educational purposes, as Herman mentioned.

• 14.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2018 10:33 AM
    There is nothing unique about this scenario. The supplicant needs to trust the signing CA and common name of the EAP server certificate.

I’m sorry but I will not assist you in setting up an environment incorrectly.

• 15.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jul 02, 2018 02:22 PM
    Ok, don't worry. Does anyone know which of its certificates the IAP uses for EAP (Default Server Certificate, Current CP Server Certificate and Device Certificate)?

PD: I don't know why Aruba offers the EAP offload feature if it should never be used.

Regards,
    Julián

• 16.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 03, 2018 09:23 AM

Julian,

The Instant AP uses whatever certificate is built into the Instant AP.  You could choose to change the server certificate by uploading a different auth-server certificate:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Authentication/Certificates.htm?

EAP Termination/ EAP Offload are holdovers from many years ago when users did not have radius servers.  Since that Microsoft has been shipping free radius servers for years since Internet Authentication Server, using EAP Offload/EAP Termination and installing software on end devices is no longer a good or viable option, but it is still kept as a feature for the small number of users who continue to use it.  Using a real radius server always has been and continues to be the best option, instead of using termination/eap offload.

Whenever users ask to troubleshoot this option, we always steer them toward an actual radius server.  Administrators can choose to do whatever they want, but we will always try to steer them to the better option.

• 17.  RE: About Instant AP certificates and PEAP authentication

Posted Jul 03, 2018 09:32 AM
    Thanks for the clarification Colin!

Regards,
    Julián