Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

About RAP forwarding mode

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  About RAP forwarding mode

Posted May 09, 2019 09:57 AM

Dear Arubers,

I try to define which deployment mode I have to use for my wireless architecture and I don’t really understand all the differences between each mode.

I’ve read this page : https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/Remote_AP.php#XREF_52676_Fallback_Mode

But I’m not sure about the mode to choose.

I want an access point which :

• Is still working even if the controller is down.
    • Can provide more than 1 SSD (one "corporate SSID" with central DHCP and one "Guest SSID" with local DHCP)

Could you help me to find the right deployment method ?

For « corporate SSID » i think « tunnel forward » is the right VAP profile mode, isn't it ?

On the other side, what is the solution for the « Guest SSID » : Bridge (always or persistent mode) ? Split-tunnel mode ?

I really thank you for the help.

• 2.  RE: About RAP forwarding mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 09, 2019 08:12 PM

If you have an AP at a remote site that you need to keep up all of the time, you should be deploying an Instant AP there.  You can always tunnel the traffic to a controller using IAP-VPN if you want, without all of the restrictions and drawbacks of RAP "persistent" mode.

• 3.  RE: About RAP forwarding mode

Posted May 10, 2019 02:51 AM

Thanks for you answer :)

You're right but we already have some "C-AP" on this site.

I hoped to re-use these access point for this new deployment, it's teh reason of my question.

"R-AP" is really incompatible with my requirements ?