Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave cannot enable FIPS

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  AirWave cannot enable FIPS

Posted May 21, 2019 11:06 AM

Just recently did a massive upgrade of our AirWave from 8.2.0 to 8.2.8.1. So I'm new to the updated CLI. I went into Security, and am trying to enable FIPS mode. But when I do, I get an error, with a listing of what appears to be all of my controllers and APs (output truncated):

The following ap items are set with ciphers that are not FIPS compliant:
    Table: ap ID: 2, PrivProtocol: des, AuthProtocol: md5 Name: **Controller_name**
    Table: ap ID: 33, PrivProtocol: des, AuthProtocol: md5 Name: **AP_name**
    The following default_credentials items are set with ciphers that are not FIPS compliant:
    Table: default_credentials ID: 67, PrivProtocol: , AuthProtocol: md5

Please fix the above devices before turning on FIPS mode.

We're running a master/local setup with two 7210s running ArubaOS 6.5.4.7-FIPS_64553.

FIPS mode is on on both of the controllers, and I cannot seem to locate any accounts or SNMPv3 users anywhere that do not use SHA/AES; so I'm not sure where AirWave is seeing these MD5/DES accounts, or how to proceed enabling FIPS mode on AirWave.

• 2.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 21, 2019 02:36 PM

In message you see it is listing three ap_ids, try naviage to those device manage page and change the settings.

Click on any device in Airwave, it will take you to Devices>Monitor page,

Replace xx with ap_id  below montior page ,we have manage page, change setting under communcation section.

sample URL

https://<airwave ip>/ap_monitoring?id=xx

Note: Once you enable FIPS, we can not revert.

• 3.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

Posted May 21, 2019 04:28 PM

Thank you,

I went to an AP's management screen in AirWave, but I'm afraid I can find no 'communication' section. The sections I show are General, Settings, 802.11bgn Radio, 802.11an Radio, Authentication Method, Master Discovery, Link Priority Settings, Network Settings, Maintenance Windows, and Dynamic Variables.

None of these sections contain any setting to change from md5/des. The Authentication section has PPPoE Authentication (disabled) and Remote AP (No).

• 4.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2019 04:52 PM

What are the IDs with 2 and 33 on Airwave ? Are these Controllers or APs?

• 5.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

Posted May 30, 2019 08:43 AM

ID 2 is a controller, but ID 33 is an AP. Note that the controllers do have FIPS mode enabled.

Thank you

• 6.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2019 09:38 AM

Go to controller  Devices>manage page and edit the communication settings and try enable FIPSs.

• 7.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

Posted May 30, 2019 11:28 AM

I don't see any option for enabling FIPS.

I'm in AirWave > Devices > (controllor) Manage.
    In the Device Communication section, I see:

• IP Address
    • SNMP Port (1-65535)
    • SSH Port (1-65535)
    • Community String (and confirm)
    • SNMPv3 Username
    • Auth/Priv passwords/protocol
    • Telnet/SSH Usernam/Password
    • Enable password

Nowhere on this page is there an option for FIPS.

Thank you,

• 8.  RE: AirWave cannot enable FIPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2019 12:52 PM

in manage page you need to change protocols/password and try enable FIPS from AMPCLI.

When you are trying to enable FIPS from AMPCLI it is failing with below errors for each ap_id?

Table: ap ID: 2, PrivProtocol: des, AuthProtocol: md5 Name: **Controller_name**
    Table: ap ID: 33, PrivProtocol: des, AuthProtocol: md5 Name: **AP_name**
    The following default_credentials items are set with ciphers that are not FIPS compliant:
    Table: default_credentials ID: 67, PrivProtocol: , AuthProtocol: md5