Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 125AP RSSI CLI command

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 125AP RSSI CLI command

Posted Apr 11, 2014 07:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently asked how to get RSSI information from the Aruba125AP. I was given the following CLI command (thank you Arjan!):

show ap association client-mac <MAC>

To start, I am assuming that the network manager should be familiar with and know how to acess the CLI. If I wanted to do this command for a group or subset of AP is there an easy way to do this?

I have a project where it is necesary to get this RSSI data. We have secured permission to test, but the manager of the network said that he does not have the "time or resources" to run this command (is this as absurd of a statement as I think it is, or am I missing something?). If he had to run this command individually for each AP's MAC adress then I could see how this could be tedious... (although he had no issue writing a lengthy email)! It is also possible that he just does not know how to do this and is embaressed to admit it--if this is the case, and I fear it may be, then my only option is to help him figure it out.

Does anyone know of a way to quickly run this command for multiple AP's MAC addresses? If possible, I would like to collect the data for a period of 2-3 minutes, and to do this several times on the days that we have permission to test, so I will need to run this command several times (unless there is an easy way to do several iterations?).

My only other option here is to go on site and collect the RSSI data with another device, but this is not something I want to do. I live 3.5 hours from the site and would much rather use the AP as monitering points for many reasons. Please help! This is rather urgent. I cannot even begin to express how grateful I would be for an answer to this!

Henry S.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 125AP RSSI CLI command
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 07:38 PM
    If you want collect rssi information from a certain location or APs in a certain are you execute the show ap monitor ap-list ap-name <ap name> | include <APs common name>

You could see this information from the dashboard (controller GUI ) or ask if they have AirWave they could generate a report

• 3.  RE: Aruba 125AP RSSI CLI command

Posted Apr 13, 2014 08:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Victor. How would one go about generating this report with Airwave--would this depend at all on the network architecture or dashboard that the school is using?

The network manager I am working with is extremely lazy and will not help us with anything unless he is given step by step instructions. Is  generating this report a complicated task? And can it be specific to RSSI values (and not include any other information he might consider sensitive)?

Thanks again for the help.

Henry S.