Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

Posted Jun 11, 2018 06:13 PM

Hi, 

I have coouple of question regarding the licensing for 8.x version 

1. If we are migrating the master-local deployment controller from 6.x to 8.2 version, then do we still need mobility master license eventhough we master-local deployment doesnt have mobility master?

2. In the same master-local deployment, is it possible to convert the license of both the controller during thr migration process using migration tool? or do we have to convert only in licensing portal?

Thanks, 

• 2.  RE: Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 09:33 AM

@Wi5 wrote:

Hi, 

I have coouple of question regarding the licensing for 8.x version 

1. If we are migrating the master-local deployment controller from 6.x to 8.2 version, then do we still need mobility master license eventhough we master-local deployment doesnt have mobility master?

2. In the same master-local deployment, is it possible to convert the license of both the controller during thr migration process using migration tool? or do we have to convert only in licensing portal?

Thanks, 

1. MM is not required in 8.x but remember you are losing alot of the features that make 8.x great ie Airmatch, In Service Upgrades, Clustering, etc

2. As far as I know the migration tool is not supported in a Standalone deployment of 8.x. Starting fresh on 8.x is best practice anyways. 

• 3.  RE: Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 05:23 PM

Hi,

My first question is which Mobility Controllers do you have? Only 70xx and 72x0 are supported on ArubaOS8.x

1A Migrate from Master-Local to MCM+MC (option #3), you don't need a VMM/MM, but you loose a whole lot of kickass feature of ArubaOS8. And the MCM can't terminate AP's

1B Migrate from Master-local to Standalone controllers (option #2), same result as 1A, no license needed, no cool features

1C highly recommended!!! (Option #1) Get the MM in your design! And yes you need the license, but both controllers will become a MD and both can be in a cluster. In option #3 the MCM (one controller) can;t terminated AP's so you might need an extra controller. Better buy a MM.

1504217578_single_master_single_local_in_8.x.png

2 The migration tool will only work on the MM, better do a new install and get rid of old legacy config. Licenses can be on MM or the controllers. ArubaOS8 with MM will do 'central' licensing to have all the licenses available in the MM.

• 4.  RE: Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

Posted Jun 15, 2018 08:30 PM

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. what do you mean by migration tool will work only on MM? I can't use migration tool to convert existing matser-local deployment in "master controller mode" ? if yes, then existig configuration will not be removed, am i right?

• 5.  RE: Aruba OS 8.x licensing query

Posted Jun 15, 2018 08:50 PM
    Please take a look at the migration guide
    http://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Method/attachment/Default.aspx?EntryId=30038

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile