Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba VIA-client: prevent stale DNS records

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba VIA-client: prevent stale DNS records

Posted Jul 10, 2019 02:17 AM

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any advise on this:

ComputerA connects with Aruba VIA client and gets assigned an IP from the VIA pool: 192.168.1.50. ComputerA registers its IP in the corporate DNS. A nslookup ComputerA now returns 192.168.1.50. ComputerA is shut down at the end of the day.

The next day, ComputerB connects with Aruba VIA client and also gets assigned IP 192.168.1.50 from the VIA pool (because ComputerA is shutdown, Aruba controller has marked this IP as available). ComputerB registers itself in DNS, also as 192.168.1.50.

Now, both nslookup ComputerA and nslookup ComputerB return the same IP. This confuses some of our networking/inventory-monitoring software. It tries to scan ComputerA, but is actually scanning ComputerB without realizing it. So for example, I get false information about ComputerA being online.

How would/do you deal with this? Do you set an extremely short DNS scavenging period in your DNS server for example? Or am I missing some other simple solution to this?

Please let me know! :)

• 2.  RE: Aruba VIA-client: prevent stale DNS records

Posted Jul 18, 2019 02:56 AM

Nobody else has dealt with this? Or any advise? :)